Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

I bought a dog and now I'm no longer a dog person?

So I finally got a puppy, at first it was awful. Raising a puppy sucks, and i hated every minute it. I assumed it was puppy blues so I just got through it. Now he's a year old. He's easy to train, very, smart, so loving and never pees indoors anymore. So why do I still dislike him. I would never hurt or abandon him, but I don't love him. Also, I hate dogs in general now. I don't understand. I've always , my whole life loved dogs and now I don't want to be near one.

• Anna
    Favorite Answer

You obviously liked the IDEA of dogs but not OWNING one. Did you romanticise the idea? I hate dogs like you although I never had to own one, I just got rudely awoken many times  by my dads selfish neighbours stupid yappy dog and got chased by one. Rehome the dog if you don't like him, makes more sense to rehome him to someone who will love him.

• Jojo

So......If you don`t feel anything for the dog, and even actually dislike him (and he WILL sense it), then stop being so selfish and give him to a good rescue kennels where he will be found a home with someone who DOES like him. Its not fair on the dog to keep him if you dislike him. Give the dog a chance of being loved and wanted.

End of.

• patty

a well trained dog is perfect for a Rescue Dog shelter- he would find a loving owner quick. But I reckon you're a troll. If not i'm sure he can sense your bad vibes.

Reality has a way of smashing people's idealized versions of things. You loved the IDEA of having a dog. You loved interacting with others' dogs. You don't love the REALITY of owning a dog every single day and being responsible for it. 

While your dog sounds pretty average, as a more extreme example, my own dog is beloved by pretty much everyone who meets him. He's energetic, very charismatic, friendly to everyone, knows a wealth of fun commands and has buckets of personality. When people tell me how much they love him, my standard response is "that's because you don't have to live with him". I love him dearly, but he is a challenge to live with and requires management daily that I have down to a science to make things good for us both. He is well trained, but he has firm Opinions about how things in his life should be. He likes strict adherence to his routine. If you deviate from his routine, he will make that known, persistently, until you comply. If he is not kept occupied and engaged, he will make his own fun, and you will not enjoy it. My vet says on an intensity scale of 1 to 10, his working Belgian Malinois are a 10, and my dog (who is a small breed) is an 11. He is ALWAYS "on" unless he's sleeping, and he's now a twelve year old dog. My first statement when my boyfriend asked me to move in with him was "you know my dog comes with, right?". He assured me he adored my dog and his quirks.  I warned him. Extensively. We've been living together about three years now. He recently told me he now dislikes my dog, thought I was exaggerating, and had no idea what he'd be like to live with every day. 

I don't think this question should be in the dog section. It should be in behavioral health. It is not a dog issue, it is your mental state, your feelings & not a dog problem.

Hopefully this will only be a temporary state of mind. Do more things with the dog. Train it & show off how well it obeys commands. Maybe it is not the dog but the responsibilities of being a good dog owner.

• Anna

The asker obviously doesn't like the RESPONSIBILITY of owning a dog. Very common for people to idealise things and then for it not to work out, like people having babies and then realising they're hard work and not just cute and easy.

• Maxi

You failed to ask a question!

• Jack H

It's your problem, I once raised a litter of seven pups to adulthood, loved them all, they stayed with me for their whole lives, all living into double figures, wonderful dogs, stop being so bloody selfish, ohh, none of my dogs has ever peed indoors after their first couple of weeks with me, or in the case of the litter, once they were independent of their mum, training can be fun...

Because you're a spoiled, immature child. Tell mommy and daddy to rehome the dog so it can find a better home.

• Lv 7

No, just a troll

The first emotion you felt is pretty 'normal' and indeed, puppy blues.   I well remember, having waited for YEARS before we could afford for me to stop working full time, finally picking up our first puppy and within days, sitting on the living room floor with him crying.   'I didn't expect it to be like this'!!   Yeah right.  A complete culture shock even with all the homework I'd done.   But that passed and once I'd bonded with the hooligan, 10 months later came our second ..... and the rest is history.  That poor boy probably suffered initially because I was learning on him LOL.

I'm not sure what's going on with you other than maybe your life has moved on and now doesn't include your dog.   BUT have you stopped to think how you'd feel if he went missing, or was seized for some reason?

If you know you'd not miss him, then please take him back to his breeder who may well have people on their waiting list who could offer him a loving, permanent home.

It sounds as though your real problem may be an aversion to responsibility. Since any interaction in the past was with someone else's dog ( therefore their responsibility) you weren't of the same mindset. Your dog just reminds you of your responsibility each time you look at him. It's too bad that you completely overlook the satisfaction of being depended on by someone that really needs you. Don't ever have children until you deal with this first.