Can I sue if my employer doesn’t reimburse me for mileage ?

I just got hired into a new cleaning job and it’s about 53 miles there and 53 back each day. Before I even got hired the guy running my cleaning group said he was gonna reimburse me 50¢ per mile. He’s been saying he’s gonna give me a mileage sheet and he’s gonna get the owner to give me a gift card but I feel like he’s bs me bc he keeps saying “between you and your boyfriend you make $26 hr.” If he doesn’t do it can I sue if I have witnesses of him saying he’s gonna give me the 50¢. 

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Hannah
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

You can try, but you won’t win.  You don’t get paid for the mileage on your commute to and from work.  You only get paid for the miles you drive while working, like from one client’s house to the next.  Which, btw, is up to $0.58 per mile according to the IRS.  

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

This question is not about tax policy.  You can certainly win on a contract dispute if you have the necessary proof.

• 2 months ago

Your employer has no obligation to reimburse you for mileage.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

He does if that's what he promised to do.

• 2 months ago

Got a written contract? If you don't, you have an extremely weak case. And what do you think will happen to your job if you sue the company? No more job. Best to cut your losses now and find a new job, because it will cost you thousands to sue, and if you don't win, you don't get that money back.

• PAMELA
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You should have it in writing.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

" said he was gonna reimburse me 50¢ per mile".unless you have that in writing 'saying' it means nothing, so yes you can sue, but you will not win......... travel to and from work is normally at your own cost

• 2 months ago

You generally cannot claim milage traveling to and from a job but you can for the milage you drive while on the job. An employee is legally entitled to be paid for milage on the job (a "contractor" is not). If you are an employee then yes, you could sue to be paid for milage and "gift cards" don't cut it to pay an employee.

• Carmen
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

Not sure if suing without real written proof will go well even if someone else heard this try calmly approaching your employer again if applicable on matter keep a calm heart and see what it produces then go from there. Always get important conversations in writing so tgrrr is no confusion or conflicts . 

• 2 months ago

Unless you have it in writing, forget about it.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

An affidavit from a first-hand witness would be "in writing".

• 2 months ago

Gift card?  I'd be suspicious of that.  But if you were to sue you'd probably loose your job.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.