matt asked in Society & CultureRoyalty · 1 month ago

Why can’t royalists accept that Queen Victoria was ethnically completely German?

Every time I see people ask this, royalists try to downplay it by saying “she lived in England, she was English blah blah blah...”. That is NOT the question, the question is what was her ethnics background; a construct complete distinct from one’s nationality or citizenship. Her ethnic background was 100% German. She was not of 50% German background, or 75% as some try to claim. She was full. She spoke English, yes, but her mother tongue was actually German and she spoke that only to her husband because he did not speak English.

23 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

They say the Queen died 300 years ago so how can you expect any sense?

• 1 month ago

It seems you have not done even the most basic research.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Um, how do you think she claimed the throne? Do you think someone somewhere said 'Oh! Let's find some random Germans to rule us!' She was not 100% German and it would have taken you all of 5 seconds to Google that fact. She was descended from the Scottish royal house also.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Even if that were true, then so what? Do you hate Germans?

• matt1 month agoReport

Don’t misquote me, please. I am just stating a fact.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Rico
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Victoria’s ancestors include the Scottish monarchs, none of whom (prior to the personal union) had German ancestry, thus making your claim wrong

• ...Show all comments
    • Rico
      Lv 5
      1 month agoReport

James I Of The Scots was one of her ancestors he had ABSOLUTELY NO German ancestry!!!!

• Clo
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Actually, no one living in the UK is truly British.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/21/no-one...

The Hanoverians were German, but there was an ethnic link to the British Stuart family. Sophia of Hanover's family was chosen by Parliament to be the monarchical line. Sophia was the daughter of Elizabeth Stuart,the second child and eldest daughter of James VI and I, King of Scotland, England, and Ireland, and his wife, Anne of Denmark.   see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Stuart,_Qu...

Sophia's family was chosen by Parliament to be the monarchical family because they were Protestant, descendants of Mary, Queen of Scots, James I, and James II.

Victoria's lineage is part of the historic record. Her ethnicity is German, Danish, Scottish, English.

The real issue here is that anti-monarchists wish to use ethnicity as a reason to say that the monarchy be ended because the royals are not "British."

British Anglo-Saxons originally came from Germany.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Saxons

"The Anglo-Saxons were a cultural group who inhabited Great Britain from the 5th century. They comprise people from Germanic tribes who migrated to the island from continental Europe..."

• David1 month agoReport

You believe the islands were uninhabited before the Anglo-Saxons came along? Go read some books and you might learn something. ;)

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

A lot of them probably wish to ignore the religious bigotry that put the Hanoverians on the throne to begin with. There were certainly closer relatives who deserved to rule...they were just Catholic and Parliament couldn't have that (horrors).

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Victoria was the daughter of Prince Edward, Duke of Kent and Strathearn (the fourth son of King George III), and Princess Victoria of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld. After both the Duke and his father died in 1820, she was raised under close supervision by her mother and her comptroller, John Conroy. 

• 1 month ago

She was born in England, making her English NOT German. It would not make any difference if her parents were Martian, she was born in England, therefore her native tongue was English. Prince Albert, her husband, spoke very good English and they spoke German, when they didn't want their children, knowing what they were talking about. Both of your points refuted, did you have anything else?

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Really?  You really go about asking people that inane question?

Personally, I appreciate that the family was German until recent marriages with those of questionable heritage.  Germans (Aryans) are the superior race.  Look across the channel at the mess those frogs have made of things.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.