Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

Can I still get into graduate school if I get C this semester?

I’m a junior. I did great my first two years (got around a 3.5 cumulative). This semester is about to end and I currently have a C in one of my classes. It’s a level 300 course and one of the hardest courses in my major. I’m extremely worried.

"’It's a level 300 course and one of the hardest courses in my major" Don't get into a habit of saying this, it makes you look bad. Doesn't matter if it's "hard" or not, remember that grad school is even harder so your point actually works against you.

Can you get into grad school with a C? Yeah, I got into a number of top engineering programs with one C. 

One C is fine the problem is if you overall GPA is below a 3.0 than your options are very limited which is not good you want to have enough options. You should be fine.

Yes_very likely you will be admitted to graduate school. You do not have to  have 4.00000 cumulative GPA to be admitted to even the most prestigious graduate schools. That includes medical schools. 

I was admitted to graduate school. I had Cs in at least 3 calculus classes, and an F in second semester physics. When my adviser raised his eyebrow and asked me if I wanted to retake the course, I think I surprised him with volume of my "No!" The attitude of that specific physics faculty member about so.an taking physics classes was well known across campus. Women should be barefoot and pregnant and in the kitchen. I had an A- in structural geology class that semester to balance the F. Yes, the course was required for earth sciences /geology majors. 

I don't know what my GPA was. I was admitted to into a masters of science program offered by the School of Geology and Geophysics at the University of Oklahoma. It is one of the 5 best geoligy schools in the USA according to someone who did know, I was admitted because I had the highest general aptitude GRE scores of any domestic applicant up to that time. I was also admitted in January, something G&G no longer allows for new graduate students. I also did not commit to geology or geophysics until later. That I had 2 bachelors degrees, 1 with honors, was probably irrelevent. The B.S. in earth sciences was. Not the one with general and subject honors (B.A. in history). 

Of course I felt like that F on the 4th page of my trans tilt was in screaming red 72 point font. The ad missions committee members probably never saw that F. 

Very likely you will be admitted to graduate school. Then you will find out how hard it is to maintain a 3.00 GPA or higher EACH term. 

I could NOT graduate from Tulane without taking 600 level courses in EITHER major. I got Cs in one or 2 history courses and I graduated with honors. I took more courses than was required for the B.A. in history. 

You are overthinking this. People with perfect 4.0000000 GPAs do get turned down. 

Yes, I know U.S News & World Report is not ranking the University of Oklahoma recently. That's because if issues within the last 5 years. 

Talk to your academic adviser and your professor. I am a university faculty dependent. You have no idea what they may go home to. 

• MS

It certainly depends on the specific program(s) you apply to, and also how well you do going forward.  One C is not likely to derail you completely, but it might keep you out of very selective programs.

Probably.  Of course, it depends on the specific program to which you want to apply.  As a general rule, a student who graduates with a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.2 or above can get into some type of graduate program.  There are some universities and some programs that are so competitive, you'd need a much higher GPA to be considered. Your GRE or GMAT score will also play a role.  

The key now is the grades you get in your next 3 semesters.  If you continue to take, say, five classes and get B's and one C each time, you could end up with a GPA that is too low. If you get A's and a couple of B's, you'll be in great shape.

During your holiday break, start looking at grad programs and their specific application requirements. 

One C is unlikely to keep you out of graduate school. HOWEVER, the fact that it's in your major is more worrying. Graduate programs will look more closely at the courses in your major. If you are struggling with one of the first ones, that does not bode well for the rest of your college career. 

• DON W

Don't worry.  Just get plenty of A's and B's to offset it in your GPA.  

One grade of C is not a deal-killer except, perhaps, for some of the most competitive, demanding, prestigious of grad schools. E.g. a med school with 2.5% acceptance rate, your 3.5 GPA was not good enough to begin with. For, say, master's in education, one C grade is highly unlikely to be a deal killer at all. You could very well be overthinking this. Tend to your studies & stop obsessing.

• Kyle

i would talk with your counselor / adviser, or even your professor.  we don't know the exact requirements from your school and study that's needed to pass and get into graduate school.  maybe see if there are other options you can take for spring semester that will still let you go to graduate school.  talk it over with a counselor.  they are there to help.

good luck.