Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 8 months ago

I’m pregnant and one of the possible fathers is incarcerated. If it’s his can I put another man on the birth certificate? ?

I want nothing to do with the guy incarcerated. The other guy and I are in a relationship and I would prefer his name on it instead. But if he’s not the legal father can I get in trouble for lying about who the real father is? 

You can get in trouble for falsifying documents, yes.

• PAMELA

Yes you can, why should a man bring up another mans' child?

• xyzzy

It is not illegal but just a name on the birth certificate means very little. If the guy in jail claims to be the father or the guy whose name you used contests being the father either they or any of the other possible father can demand a DNA test to determine who is the real father

Yes, but having his name on the birth certificate doesn't make him legally responsible.

You need to get DNA done. Baby deserves to know it's true father.

• joedlh

If you don't know who the father is, you should not put either name. How about "unknown" until you can get a DNA test?

You can legally put whoever you want on the birth certificate, biological father or not. If that man, however, can prove he is not the bio-father, he will not be responsible for the child as the child's father regardless of being on the birth certificate.

Never lie. The truth always comes out. Consider the child who will not know who his father is, who may have health issues & needs to know DNA matters. You are cheating & lying to your own child! What kind of mother & role model does that make you for your child? 

You are lying to all the men you slept with. You are taking money - child support - under false pretenses (which is criminal fraud). 

Leave the birth certificate father-name slot blank until you find out which of your bed partners is the real father. 

you'd have to put the actual father on it but you can still make the other guy the step father.

That would be an act of fraud.