my computer is old,not going to sell just getting rid of it . If I erase the hard drive should I have to worry about anything ?

Assuming that this is a Windows computer, when you delete a file it is not actually removed from the hard drive.  Only the information that allows Windows to find the file is removed.  The actual information is still there on the drives.

The information remains there until new data is written over the top of it.  Depending on where on the drive the data is located, that would be five minutes after the file is erased or never.

There are lots of free programs you can download that will overwrite the entire hard drive with garbage.  That is the only way to assure that nothing is left over on the drive.

If you are just going to junk the computer, remove the hard drive, take a hammer, and bust it into pieces.  

yes.  Hammer that hard drive.  Put holes in it.  Destroy it and make a youtube video of you destroying it.

Not If you erase your hard drive and choose the option to zero out the disk. 

Erasing your hard disk drive just recreates the partition map and will write over any data stored on the disk. 

• keerok

Just getting rid? Take out the hard drive, open it up to see what's inside, play with it somewhat making sure you wipe the platters with used microfiber cloth then display as paper weight. The rest of the computer, get rid of already. Now that's how to take away any worries at all, exactly!

• Frank

Hold old is “old”. If you want to sell it, the best thing to do is to put a fresh copy of an install of whatever operating system you want. It would be prudent to do a secure erase first. 

Most people are pretty stupid when it comes to computers. So most people Wouldn’t know how to recover your data if you simply formatted your hard drive and put a new operating system on it.

Personally if I purchase old equipment, I erase the hard drive anyway, and start fresh.

The best thing is to pull the hard drive and replace it & keep your old hard drive. Use it as a secondary drive on your new machines.

I recommend you take out the hard drive from your computer, and then you destroy it. After you do that, then you can get rid of your computer.

You won't have anything to worry about after you destroy your hard drive.

• Dick

Erasing the hard drive is the 2nd best way to ensure your data remains private. The actual best way, in my opinion, is to disassemble the hard drive and then destroy the disk inside. The only warning I have regarding destroying it is that some hard drive disks are metal and some are glass. What I do is either break the glass ones or I bend the metal ones in half and then use a vice to bend them in half once again. TO BE SAFE wrap the disk in a heavy cloth such as an old towel, put it in the vice so that half of the disk is showing; bend it as far over as you can; open the vice wide and if it's glass then put it in the trash. If it's metal, use the vice to bend it over at least one more time so that the original disk appears to be 1/4 if it's original size. This makes either type of disk unreadable. Another trick I've used on either type of disk is to simply use very coarse sand paper (e.g. 80 grit) and roughen both sides of the disk really good. Since the read head floats above the disk at 50 millionths of an inch when it's functional, this coarse sanding will render the disk unreadable also. Hope this helps!!!

Remove the hard drive(s) from the old computer, and continue using it/them for backups or data.

If you're going to scrap it, the simplest thing is to take the hard drive out and attack it with a large hammer. Once smashed, no-one will be able to recover your data.

• Bryan

Its possible someone could take the time and possibly recover your erased hard drive. To be really sure, physically destroy the hard drive.