Potty training accidents...HELP?!?

My 21 month old daughter started potty training 1 month ago. Day 1: 3 accidents, day 2: 1 accident, Days 3-5 NO accidents. She was doing amazing and then, after day 5, she would have a couple accidents every other day. Then it went to having 1 accident every day. Now, she's having accidents half of the day, everyday. She never has an accident when we leave the house, it's only at home. I've tried everything, rewards, lots of praise, underwear, letting her help set up and clean up after, singing a potty song, demo, reading potty books, etc.. This is not my 1st time either, I have 5 kids. 3 older children who I have successfully potty trained with no problems. I know she's ready because she told us when she would pee her diaper, hide when she pooped, was dry half the time at night, and kept removing her diaper. What else could I do to help this??

None of that are signs that she was ready to potty train.  Knowing you've peed only means you know you peed, not that you know BEFORE you pee that you have to go.  Hiding that she pooped means she's ashamed of pooping for some reason.  Being dry half the night means she's starting to produce the correct hormones for night training (which isn't related to day training in terms of the child deliberately holding it), but that she isn't yet producing enough to be fully night trained.  Removing her diaper means the diaper is uncomfortable and she probably needs a different size or fit.

Back off.  Put away the underwear for a few months, try again.  If there's still accidents, go through the same cycle again.  Repeat until she's actually ready.

• Kms1 month agoReport

She was telling me (in diapers) that she needed to pee/poop BEFORE going, not just after. Which is a sign of readiness(knowing the feeling). Diapers are back on. She continues to take them off saying"eew pee/poop" not cause of the fit but not liking being in a pee/poopy diaper. We'll see in a month.

Way TMI.  Report of when and how much makes no difference to us.  A 21 month baby is not ready for 100% worry free potty time.  BACK OFF!

• Kms1 month agoReport

Thank you for your response. You must have misunderstood, I never said 100% "worry free" potty training. I was worried about the regression from doing excellent to MANY accidents not just 1. All 3 of my older children were potty trained by 23 months (not 100% worry free, that comes later with time).

• Suzy Q

None of those are actually signs of readiness. Especially the behaviour AFTER peeing or pooping in a diaper means exactly nothing about whether a child can feel the need to go in time to make it to the toilet, take off pants, sit down and go.

21 months is on the early side for toilet training. I would back off at least a few months before trying again. 

She's not ready

She's not ready back off

• SnowFlake

I had 9 children too many mothers are the ones trained. There is no rush to do this. When your child is really ready explain the process then a couple days practice should do it. Do not waste precious time on something that in reality will happen on its own.