Potty training accidents...HELP?!?

My 21 month old daughter started potty training 1 month ago. Day 1: 3 accidents, day 2: 1 accident, Days 3-5 NO accidents. She was doing amazing and then, after day 5, she would have a couple accidents every other day. Then it went to having 1 accident every day. Now, she's having accidents half of the day, everyday. She never has an accident when we leave the house, it's only at home. I've tried everything, rewards, lots of praise, underwear, letting her help set up and clean up after, singing a potty song, demo, reading potty books, etc.. This is not my 1st time either, I have 5 kids. 3 older children who I have successfully potty trained with no problems. I know she's ready because she told us when she would pee her diaper, hide when she pooped, was dry half the time at night, and kept removing her diaper. What else could I do to help this??

• Glen W

Have you tried letting her go around the house bottomless? 

I found that whispering to my son would often make him more willing to go himself, than asking him directly. I guess this made it seem like I was on his side about going, instead of imposing on him. Sometimes I made it a game.

My daughter was much easier and got it right shortly after she turned two. My son sometimes had accidents until he was 3 1/2, ugh.

None of that are signs that she was ready to potty train.  Knowing you've peed only means you know you peed, not that you know BEFORE you pee that you have to go.  Hiding that she pooped means she's ashamed of pooping for some reason.  Being dry half the night means she's starting to produce the correct hormones for night training (which isn't related to day training in terms of the child deliberately holding it), but that she isn't yet producing enough to be fully night trained.  Removing her diaper means the diaper is uncomfortable and she probably needs a different size or fit.

Back off.  Put away the underwear for a few months, try again.  If there's still accidents, go through the same cycle again.  Repeat until she's actually ready.

• Elle

Way TMI.  Report of when and how much makes no difference to us.  A 21 month baby is not ready for 100% worry free potty time.  BACK OFF!

• Suzy Q

None of those are actually signs of readiness. Especially the behaviour AFTER peeing or pooping in a diaper means exactly nothing about whether a child can feel the need to go in time to make it to the toilet, take off pants, sit down and go.

21 months is on the early side for toilet training. I would back off at least a few months before trying again. 

She's not ready

• Tulip

She's not ready back off