Do you think refrigerator ice makers are a bit too much? Take up too much space, break down too much, cost too much, make too much ice?

Why do all of the refrigerators come with an ice maker? It is nice to have cold water and it is nice to have a tray of ice cubes, but if you need an ice machine why would you mix it up with a refrigerator? Buy a separate ice machine if you need that much ice. Probably the number 1 problem of a refrigerator is the ice machine. Get rid of the ice, add cold water and ice trays of different shapes and sizes, cut the cost of refrigerators and throw in a rebate on an ice machine. American Whirlpool could take over the market.

I couldn't agree more. I never hooked up my ice maker for that very reason. I had ice trays but ow I just buy a bag of spring water ice for 2 bucks. It lasts for months.

analogous it is to passenger aviation, boeing and the rest are meticulous in materials and assembly of the engines,,wires harnesses back ups for backups,fire safety,the frame,stress tolerances and durability of the skin.

everything else that the crew needs for passenger services,,food refrigeration,beverages,entertainment,, flight crews for years work with constant failure and problems with everything no about the planes' structure and flight systems,,, ditto with the nice looking burnished steel tough looking 1100  dollar refriges,, except the basic insides often kick the bucket a  year after the warranty goes 402,,freezer parts are plasticplasticplastic,,plastic washers screws

NO, they are not too much. Not all refrigerators have them, but most buyers WANT them, so they won't be going away anytime soon.

Whoah, what a rant. The ice maker is remove-able. Chill out. Some folks in Texas and Florida and Arizona like ice.

• C

I suppose it depends on your expectations, priorities and usage.  A lot of people seem very attached to the idea of unlimited ice cubes on demand so they're happy to pay for that and live with the knowledge that the ice cube maker is the weakest part of the fridge unit.  As it happens, I agree with you because the only thing I ever put ice in is a G&T.  Ice in drinks is just not the norm where I live so an ice maker is really just an under used space-waster, but as I said, it depends on the individual's expectations.  I think a large part of the appeal really is the fact that it's built into the fridge, it's more Star Trek than a separate ice making machine.  I wouldn't buy one and would be very annoyed if it were hard to source a fridge without one (luckily manufacturers know their markets) but I've grown out of judging people for doing things differently as long as it doesn't harm others.

• Droopy

Isn't that what the freezer is for?  I wouldn't have a fridge with out a ice maker.  Hell my back up fridge I've turned the whole freeze into a ice bin.

Source(s): My House

They don't all come with icemakers. Mine doesn't have one.  In fact, in 42 years of owning refrigerators, I've never had one with an icemaker.

• Tulip

I love my ice maker.

• y

My last fridge was over 20 years old, I had to replace the ice maker somewhere around year 12. That was the only issue. We replaced simply becouse it was old and we redid our kitchen. The new fridge, about five or six year old now, has never had an issue with the ice maker or dispenser. Whirlpool french four door bottom freezer.  The refrigerator itself sucks. Has a refrigeration leak in the evaporator, around year three. Call the tech, they come out, it's supposed to be under the five year sealed system warranty. But hold on, Whirlpool has changed their sealed system to one year, in part becouse of this issue. The aluminum used to stamp the evaporators was to thin, this is an issue across the board, not just theirs. So anyway, after two months(another story) the tech replaces the evap. Only, he used pliers to hold it in place while he soldered. Didn't notice, 6 weeks later it is leaking again and we get a bill from the service company for over $500.00, becouse whilrpool is refusing to honor their warranty. The service company told us it was covered, they can deal with it. Whirlpool meanwhile is telling us we need to buy an extended warranty plan, that actually would already be expired.  Big frigging mess for a $3000.00 fridge, it's foolish.

I love my ice maker and as long as no one shoves **** into the sensor bar and dislocates it, which they catch **** for doing, it never fails.