Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 10 months ago

What are some extra-curriculars that my sister can join so she can get into a top college?

My sister is a sophomore and extremely intelligent (a 99/100 GPA and never studies; probable National Merit Finalist). She currently does theater, choir, mock trial, the exchange club, and Girl Scouts. How could she make her transcript stand out?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Laurie
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

She should ace the ACT/SAT

• 10 months ago

Unless she's going to be recruited by a D1 school for some sport, she doesn't need any other extracurricular activities.  To stand out to the most selective universities (Harvard, Stanford) the student has to do something totally unique and truly extraordinary.  For example, design a water purifying system that is portable and can be produced for lest than $20 and distribute it in 3rd world countries.

It is far more important for students to be deeply invested in a couple extracurriculars where they have some leadership role than it is to dabble lightly in a lot of different things. As a top academic student, she'll have plenty of opportunities and will get into a lot of great schools.  

• 10 months ago

Leadership positions in those organizations? Create/lead special projects, charitable activity, something through one or another organization? National and/or international awards won in competitions?

• MS
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

Being involved in lots of things is not as impressive as being highly involved in a few things.  Being a club or organization officer, winning awards, being involved in significant service projects, etc are the things that really stand out.  Joining lots of clubs and groups does not look good - it looks like you're trying to pad your application, and everyone knows that you can't be committing significant time to anything when you're trying to be a part of everything. So I would suggest that she work to get herself recognized and highly involved in those groups in which she's already a part.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.