Zirp
Zirp asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 10 months ago

What's the ubuntu-equivalent of "WORD"?

What ubuntu-program do I use to make a "word-document"?

Hi. i use Puppy linux, which has compatibility with the Ubuntu kernels for 16 thru 19.04.

The included software is Abiword & Geany, but I can also install Scribus, WPS Office, LibreOffice or OpenOffice that will run from the ubuntu repositories.

Abiword is 3.0.1, & can save as an MS Word *.doc file. Scribus is more of a desktop publishing software, but can also save a *.doc file.

G'Luck!!!.

• keerok

LibreOffice (or OpenOffice) Writer.

It can read and save word files. Best of all, it's free and should have been included in your Ubuntu distribution. If not, install it through the following commands in terminal.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/ppa

sudo apt update

sudo apt install libreoffice

League of Legends

• Lv 7

Ubuntu comes with no such program, but you can add LibreOffice to get one.

I believe it is called Abi-Word.   I have used it.  It is WAY better than Word.  It has many more tools in it.   However the 2 programs are completely different .  One cannot see the other.

YOU KNOW WHEN YOU TYPE A BUNCH OF WORDS WITHOUT LOOKING AT THE COMPUTER AND WHEN YOU DO LOOK YOU SEE THAT IT IS IN ALL CAPS?   In M$ word there was no fix except to retype it all out. With the Caps key off.

The Linux program allows you to blue everything and then choose " remove Caps and it does pages of it."   It fixes it all and everywhere after a period it starts with a Capital letter.  So it is all done correctly.  Spell check is automatically changed while you are typing.

The only place that is common to the 2 programs is on the PRINTER.  They both can use it.   There is other features, which I have forgotten.  i don't use word to type this answer. I use whatever YA has for a word processor program and type my answer directly to the computer Y.A. page to answer this question.

• Tommy

OpenOffice or LibreOffice

Ubuntu comes with LibreOffice Writer. You could also install AbiWord or Calligra Words from the repository. Most versions of Microsoft Word will work if installed with Wine. And web-based editors like Office Online or Google Docs work exactly the same.

Ubuntu and Linux mint comes with LibreOffice. And it says document writer