Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 10 months ago

Question about college?

I'm 15 years old (year 11) and I havent applied for college yet. I already know the college in which I am wanting to apply for. My question is, what courses would be appropriate to take if I am looking to get into becoming a therapist. I want to talk to young teenagers that suffer with mental health ect. 

What would be the appropriate courses to take?

I am going to see my career advisor in school next week however i still want to develop my knowledge as much as I can on college.

Thanks!

• John

You don't need to worry very much about your specific college courses at this time.  Your first 2 years will mostly consist of general education requirements, and a few introductory courses in your major.  For a major, you would probably want to consider psychology, childhood development, or social work.  As mentioned in another answer, a Masters degree would be very important in this line of work.

Even though you don't necessarily have to take any related courses in high school if wanting to major in social work, counseling or psychology, for instance, some relevant classes may include general psychology, abnormal psychology, and/or developmental (life-span) psychology.

• MS

There are no high school courses that you would need to take.  Maybe a psychology course if it's offered, just so you can see if that field really appeals to you.  But you'll take the relevant courses in college.  There aren't likely to be any therapy-relevant courses offered in high school anyway.

• Damien

You'll need to do a psychology bachelor degree with a psychology masters degree to even get your foot in, 6 yrs, i bet you abandon your plans once u realize how long it takes