Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 10 months ago

Will 2 B’s on a college transcript hurt Grad-school chances? ?

I was a TAG kid (a program where an A is the only good grade) and I’ve worked hard to keep a 4.0 for almost 4 years, so maybe that’s why, but I may get not just 1, but 2 B’s this semester. 

Maybe I’m just anxious since I do have all A’s and it’s been this way for 3 years, but if I do get 2 B grades, I want to know if this will effect my chances of getting into Grad school (psych major)?

Any experiences you have are helpful. Parent, student, faculty, professor, anything. 

• MS

Two Bs are not bad at all.  If you are applying to psychology graduate programs, your GPA is important, but your research experience, community service, and other relevant work is what will be more important.  I think your GPA will be acceptable for any and all psychology graduate programs.  It will be the other aspects of your application that determine your acceptance. 

Source(s): I'm a psychology professor at a university with a doctoral program
  • Laurie

If the Bs are in your primary field of study, and another applicant has all As... well, that’s who you may be competing against for admission.

Two grades of B with all the rest As over 4 years of bachelor's degree still leaves you with an excellent GPA. How are your GRE scores? What else have you got for your grad school applications, e.g. letters of recommendation from your professors, any particularly outstanding achievements? Grad schools look at everything, not just GPA anyway.

• .

Your GPA is only 1/4 of the equation.  Grad schools also look at your GRE scores, your letters of recommendation, and research experience.