IR AF beam with Sony A7iii?

I’m looking at getting a Sony a7iii and will need to have low-zero light autofocus capabilities for nightclub photography

I’ve been scouring the internet and have found that it’s possible using the Godox xt1-s 

Is this correct and if so how does it work? Do you just mount the xt1s on the camera and then a flash on top of that?

Any insight is appreciated!

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

The focus assist on the xt1-s is just like the focus assist on any shoe-mount flash... it emits a red light (usually a cross pattern) that you may or may not see, but the camera can see the light and uses that to focus. The xt1-s is a flash controller for using speedlights off camera, but still allows for autofocus with the red light. Having never attempted to use a flash controller without flashes, I have no idea if it will actually work, but I don't see any reason that it won't.

If it works, it would be much less obtrusive than the white focus assist light built into the body. That would be like shining a small flashlight at people while trying to take your photo.

• 1 month ago

There is one built into the camera. That little light on the front of the camera is an auto-focus for low light. It comes on when you depress the shutter halfway, in the dark, and allows the camera to focus.

• keerok
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Wow! They have those things now?

Back in the old days, it was hyperfocal distance all the way. You simply depend on that DOF scale on the lens. It was even possible to set the camera, lens and flash one time and work with the same distance, somewhat, through-out the whole night without worries.

Photogs sure are spoiled nowadays with all these tech available to them.

• Frank
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Usually the way flashes help with AF in low light is with an auto-focusing assist lamp.  It's a red light the illuminates the subject to "help" the camera focus.

Another option would be to use hyper-focal focusing where you set your focusing point to something like 6 feet and use an aperture of, say, f/8.  The depth of field that you'd create would likely be more than enough to get your subjects in focus even if they weren't exact at the 6' focusing distance in this example - providing that you're using a wide-angle lens.  Wedding photographers do this all the time.  They pre-focus, tap a dancing guest on the shoulder, then step back and take the shot.  I don't know what your subject matter will likely be, but that's a thought.

Also, how does the A7iii's focus peeking work in those situations?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.