SarahC
SarahC asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 month ago

Moms: how do I teach my son he's vulnerable between the legs?

Hello. 

My youngest is a bit over 5. He loves jumping about the house and climbing trees in our yard, most of which are slanted and not too high. However, considering a recent unfortunate injury to a neighbor boy, I'm worried about his safety. Having only had a daughter, I've never had to have a conversation with my child about the vulnerability of his testicles and how apparently painful it can be if he say lands on them. How do I bring this up to my son that he needs to be careful with his fragile parts? Is it appropriate to make him wear a cup while he climbs trees? I imagine this revelation might be embarrassing to young boys. Please let me know.

kick him in the balls, then he'll learn :)

• Liz

Consider the prevalence of child abuse cases, perhaps he should be learning that his genitals are private and not to be touched no way shape nor form. Sexual education cannot start early enough. He'll find out about the pain of injuring them as he grows. The article on the website might interest you, as well as others concerning the subject of protecting your child.

Source(s): wol.jw.org/g 10/07 How to Protect Your Children

Tell him to be carefull... 

Just let him learn. If he wants to act like an idiot, that's his problem.

• sian

He'll soon learn! You don't need to do anything. Boys just need one shock down there and they'll realise they aren't equipped for doing anything that might aggravate their balls (like me!!)

• edward

I have never experienced that pain myself but i don’t like trees, i don’t like getting injured, i don’t like getting dirty and such. All he has to do is get injured once to learn not to do it again

No necessary.  He will learn this lesson the hard way as we all have.  By experience.  It is just that typically this lesson doesn't hurt too bad but does happen.  It may already have.  And unless he has been living in a bubble he already knows that getting hit anywhere doesn't feel good.

I find this question a dangerous mix of ignorancy and disturbing all rolled into one!

I find it ignorant because you really don't have a clue about what you are going on about! You're worried about him falling from a tree yet your first thought goes to his genital? No, if he were to fall the areas at highest risk would be his head, neck and back! If he were to fall he would likely land on one of those 3 areas, not his gentials! 

I have nephews who are 4, and they love to rough house and jump around, it's normal behaviour! Yes, they fall occasionally on the floor, on concrete, on the grass and guess what? Never once have they injured their testicles, and no they don't wear jock straps when they are outside or any other place lol.

Why are you so obsessed with genitals? I really am curious as to why your mind instantly goes there, that's what I mean when I say I find this post very disturbing, and I'm being nice when I say that.

You don't need to teach your son how to protect himself from injuring his testicles, its a silly convo to have! Now, if you want to explain the rules of him not allowing anyone to touch his genitals that would be an acceptable convo to have, and that convo should be done asap.

Good luck.

• Rick B

HE already knows this. You don't have to teach a boy that it hurts to get injured there.

He will figure it out.