1965
1965 asked in HealthGeneral Health CareInjuries · 2 months ago

Can the ER deny me a sick note for a sprained ankle?

I’ve been going to work on crutches for the last week because I fell and hurt my foot. I Have been elevating, ice packs.. everything you’re supposed to do and still going to work. If I go to the ER and explain that it is incredibly difficult for me to do my job and let them know that I haven’t had a day off of work to fully rest my foot for even a day since the injury, can they deny me a note even if it turns out to be a minor injury but limits my work performance and seems to be getting worse without rest? 

• TedEx

Go ahead, but you better be prepared to be presented with a bill for well over $ 1000.00

• Edna

Do NOT go to an ER in order to try to get a "note" because of your sprained ankle. The ER doesn't want to fool with you or your "note". ER's are for EMERGENCIES, and you don't have an emergency.

Go to your usual family doctor and ask him for a "note". Maybe he'll give you one. 

I think they can. I ruptured a tendon once and that's what happened to me.

probably, we no longer give full off work notes, we do often put some limits on what you can and cannot do and then its up to your employer. YOu will pay probably several thousand for the note. Go buy a brace and crutches instead. Or go to an UC, but the note will probably be the same.  Back dating a note is not done as well

They can give you a note at the time they examine you in the ER. You can not go back a week later and ask for a note. You need to see your regular doctor for a note.

you must be a chick as a man would put up with the ankle and go to work and get on with it its only a sprained ankle SOFT **** 

Go to your regular doc. It's cheaper.

You must be very young. You can go to a doctors office, and without insurance might cost you $60-$100. But might have to wait a few days for an opening. Or you can go this morning to the nearest CVS or Walgreen's Med clinic. Without insurance it would cost you $100-$175. An ER will can cost you $300-$1500. assuming you rapped your ankle right away after you hurt your self. and your work does not require you to be on your feet much it should not be so bad, You should have started to get better in a few days as long as you were off your foot 90% of the time. Which should be the case, since you were using crutches. If your foot is not better it might be broken. You might need to see a doctor for an X-ray. If it is broken you will need to be off work and off your foot completely for a week, before you can use the walking boot. If it is a bad sprain, you still might need a few to take 2-3 days completely off the foot. So it can heal being off it 90% of the time. You can also ice it for 5 minutes. 3x a day. when you are home.

If they believe you need time off work because of the injury they will give you a note.

It is unlikely they will believe you need time off given you have been able to work for a week since the injury occurred.

• 1965

I’ve been at work but hardly working. My
      Job involves lifting heavy boxes and also retail. Retail I have been able to handle, but now there is so much piled up that I physically cannot do. 

• Rick B

This is NOT a reason to take up time and resources of the ER. It is also very expensive.

Go to your PCP and ask him/her for a work excuse.

• Edna

If you don't have a PCP (Personal Care Physician), then I suggest you get one!! You don't have to go on any kind of "waiting list" in order to get a PCP.