Ramiro asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 8 months ago

What language should I choose to read in for my 15 month old? ?

My wife an I speak in spanish all the time at the house. My wife spends most of the time with our baby (15 month old) and speaks to him in spanish as do I when I get home from work. He does watch cartoons in English. At this point he has not said a word yet. He yells and he does say things but nothing understandable. Should we just focus to read to him in Spanish? Would it confuse him if we read to him in English? Thanks in advance. 

Both ! Babies absorb languages like a charm, if you raise him in both languages he'll be bilingual. He's already learning both spanish and english in your home environment anyway. He might mix the two in the beginning, but that'll probably resolve once he starts going to school and making friends.

• Petter

Swedish of course. =)

• Cathy

Concentrate on Spanish.  He will speak both languages fluently when he is five years old.

Source(s): Melania Trump

Read in both languages. It doesn't confuse a young child to pick up words from both English and Spanish. Kids at that age are just absorbing everything they hear and learning. Hearing the sounds of different languages in your developmental years help you become fluent as an adult. Also it's easier for kids to become multilingual the earlier they begin learning a language! Spanish and English are both extremely valuable languages to learn and I wish I had been raised in a bilingual environment. Best of luck.

~Kate Yelkovan~

You can read to him in both languages.

imagine your child speaking spanish.  When she goes to kindergarten, she would have trouble understanding to what the teacher says.   If she wants to socialize, she needs to speak English with her classmates. 

so my advice, speak english.  When she knows to speak English, talk also in Spanish at HOME.   So her understanding of Spanish is from the English language.  not vice versa.    She will be bilingual and can work in a business that needs a translator.

Both -- on different occasions of course.  And he should hear you and your wife speaking both to each other.  Young children can handle more than one language.

My husband and I stopped speaking Greek at home because our eighteen-month-old son was barely talking.  He STILL didn't talk.  Then, a couple days after his second birthday, he was on the floor playing with toy tools and shocked me by saying:  "Mama, give me that hammer over there" --- !!!

A librarian friend of mine said:  "Up till then he was cataloging."  

• Zirp

Should we just focus to read to him in Spanish?

no

Would it confuse him if we read to him in English?

no

Babies have no problem growing up with two or three languages, as long as it's clear when/where which language is used. Using a language some times of the week works. Linking every language to certain company works too. If English is your native language or you live in angloland, English definitely should be one of the languages the child grows up with

Use all the languages, kids are like sponges at that age.

Your child is 15 months old and not saying words like "mama", "dada", "bye-bye", "dog", etc?

I think you should talk to your pediatrician to see if they would advise getting the toddler into some speech therapy or something else.

- babies develop at different stages but this is on the far side for not saying any real words.

It doesn't matter what language the child speaks them in.