Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Do I still have to pay child support if I was fired from my job?

23 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Well of course not you poor thing.  The child/ren can just stop eating and having housing until Daddy get another JOB.  How dare they want food when you are facing getting a new job.

• 2 months ago

of course you do...................

• 2 months ago

Is it still your kid?  is it still alive?  Of course you have to pay for it.  How else would you expect it to be fed, clothed, housed, educated and medicated?  Don't even think that taxpayers should be held responsible for YOUR baby making exploits.

• Yeti
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Exact laws vary by location.

Generally speaking, yes, you still will need to pay child support. However, if your income has changed, you can report it to the local child support enforcement agency and/or go back through the court process to modify the support amount. 

In most if not all locations, there still is a bare minimum amount that will continue to accumulate as debt even if you have no income, which you'll need to pay off eventually.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Yes I believe you do. Only when the child turns 21 does child support stop, unless the child is disabled or still in college. (sometimes)

• ...Show all comments
    • Anon
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

I know, a "Friend" owed me $$, we found CS came first, then a $6,000 student loan..we had to wait in line...

• Cathy
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

you should have  tests  done to determine who the fathers of the children are

Source(s): Bill Clinton and Donald Trump
  • 2 months ago

The child support order remains in effect and unchanged until the COURT says otherwise. Significant reduction in income can be grounds to request modification of the order.

If you don't convince the court you are making a legitimate effort to secure an new income, many jurisdictions allow the court to order you to pay based on what you COULD earn if you tried.

• PAMELA
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Of course you do, a child has the right to be supported by both parents, if you do not pay now you will build up arrears, at some point you will have to pay them, your driving licence can be taken away and as a last resort you can be jailed for 6 months, and you still have to pay the arrears!

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

What does a "driving license" have to do with this?

• 2 months ago

that shortly a friend if you get fired or laid off or you lose your job or your short on hours that does not excuse you from the court order to pay child support. What you need to do is make a motion to see the judge add to have your child support suspended while you're looking for work. The judge will suspend your child support while you're looking for work if you follow the procedure and ask. If you don't your child support will continue to accrue and they will issue a warrant for your arrest if you don't pay it. It's a simple matter for you to make the request to the court and see the judge. Don't put yourself behind bars for no reason they will positively come pick you up and put you in jail so just make the request to the judge it's free.

• Mog
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No, but you will have to make back child support payments if and when you get another job. 

• ...Show all comments
    • Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

@Gypsy: Hilarious. So, let's compound a violation of a court order by committing multiple financial felonies.  Good plan.  Of course, nobody needs to be a criminal mastermind as a condition to having children.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.