Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 2 months ago

Do I still have to pay child support if my ex wife comes from a very wealthy family ?

They don’t need my money. My whole salary is a joke to them.

Assuming your ex's family is paying her a monthly stipend your attorney could always try to argue that she doesn't need monetary help in raising your kids. But ultimately your former in-laws aren't responsible for your children, you are.

Yes you do.

t does not matter how much she makes or has, you are required by most states to pay up to 20% for each child, to a max of 40% for 2 or more children.  Now, depending how much you make, If you live under poverty, you might pay less.  Like if you made only $20,000. I think the max would me $3000 in most states. Then divide that by 12 months and that is what you would pay. each month. Usually when couple divorces, and one make 3-10x more, like 1 makes $20,000 and the other makes $100,000.  So they would see you make 1/5 of your wife and you would pay 1/5 of your pay to support your child.  

• zipper

YES< YES YOU DO THE KID IS HALF YOURS!! You got to pay when you play!

This is something only your ex wife and her family can answer. But I don’t see a reason for you to have to pay maintenance if they are wealthy 

• sian

Depends on what the court decides. But YOU made the child so you should pay.

• Piero

Where do you live? In the USA we have no fault divorce. Support is only awarded if required. If she has more money than you, she should not have been awarded ANY money.

• opinionated

so,  if i pay x amount for support,  the guy next  to me at work, with a well paid ex wife does not pay support,  how do you consider this to be faIr?    sup[port is determined by the amount  earned.  at least in my state

If the child's mother files for child support, then you will likely be ordered to pay something. Child support is based on her income and your income, not her family's wealth factor.

Yes, most likely. Unless she specifies to the courts that child support is not necessary. You didn't make these children with "the very wealthy family". You made them with this particular woman. You need to make sure that shared custody or generous visitation IS necessary for yourself. Don't allow yourself to be dismissed because you don't pay child support. If you tell the courts you do not WANT to pay child support.... you might not be granted much access to your kids. Not wanting to help support them? That's not a smart approach to take.

If she doesn't need or want money from you, good for you. But don't let that mean you lose access to your kids as a "dead beat Dad".

You pay to support YOUR child. Not the mother

So must you be I am not exactly enchanted , your child ?