Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

As a College Student, How Can I Overcome My Social Anxiety? ?

Hello! I have not been feeling very well lately and have finally decided to look for help somewhere. I know the internet isn’t the best place, but I don’t know where to go. The reason is because I am very nervous to go see a therapist (I desperately want to!) and I don’t want to put more stress on my mom (she is dealing with depression at the moment). After doing some research, I believe I am dealing with social anxiety but I have put it off for a long time because I was nervous to talk about it. I felt it would appear as if I was looking for attention and I felt I didn’t deserve to worry so much over it. I have been told a lot that I will eventually grow out of it (I really want to!) So I kept it to myself. But recently it has gotten so much worse to the point I find it hard to leave my dorm and I don’t know why. I even pushed myself to join clubs but I can’t seem to hold conversations very well. It has started to affect my mental health because I can never seem to find motivation anymore and my grades have began to suffer (I have always gotten good grades and been on honor roll all my life) and I had began thinking about ending my life (please don’t worry! I could never do this!) which has never happened before. I really want friends, I haven’t been able to make any for a long time, and I want to make happy memories in college. I am very grateful for anyone reading this and for  anyone willing to give advice or tips! Thank you! (Sorry this is so long or if it sounds rude!) 

I also want answer for this question.

• Ashley Miles2 months agoReport

I have had some really nice responses below, I hope they can help you too! I wish the best for you if you are also experiencing this, it’s not easy! :)

Mindfulness Meditation in particular is a great way to combat Social Anxiety because it involves learning to become aware of your emotions and thoughts without analyzing or reacting to them. 

What you are dealing with is major.  Believe me... you may think that other people are going through or have gone through what you are experiencing, but it's easy to be deceived in your situation.  The reality is that other people are experiencing small spells that match your symptoms.  So, you witness this behavior and adopt the philosophy that what you are experiencing is normal and that, over time, you'll "grow out of it".

I'm just saying that this is serious and you should make significant actions to fix it.  Especially since you only get several years to be in that wonderful college environment and have the special experiences available to someone your age.  

Manbearpig gives good advice.  You have to start trusting in other people's goodness.  Your college peers have tender reputations and are more willing to help you out more than you might think.  Blend in with them and you might find yourself being a shoulder that someone can lean on.

Now don't be afraid of therapy and maybe even a diagnosis.  I hope a diagnosis isn't in your future, but by pure unfortunate luck, people do have actual mental deficiencies and can be helped by abundant hope and sometimes medicinal supplements.

I guess the main thing I'm trying to tell you is get it figured out now... while your young... so you can enjoy those years that only take place once in a lifetime.   

• Ashley Miles2 months agoReport

Thank you so much for the time you put into your response, I am very grateful! It has really opened my eyes to the situation and how much time I have wasted already. I don’t know where to begin but I really want to change, so I will look into therapy! Thank you again!

Push yourself to get out of your comfort zone. The things you don't want to do are the things that you need to do. 

Find a club or something you're interested in. The focus of the club will give you something to talk about. 

Meditation/yoga can be very helpful. Plenty of stuff on youtube. 

Take care of your health. That means eating right and exercise. Both can have a huge influence on your mood. 

Lastly, understand that social anxiety is a lack of confidence. Confidence comes from success. It's a cycle success->confidence->success. Set small goals and achieve them and that will build your confidence. When you fail just understand that everyone fails, learn from it and be better next time. 

• Ashley Miles2 months agoReport

Thank you so much for this answer! I really appreciate this!