Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 8 months ago

What is better? Automatic or manual car? Why?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago

It depends.

Automatic car consumes more oil than manual one, but easier to drive.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

If you living in a big city, it would be really easy and fun if you drive automatic. but if you are living in mountain or county side i would prefer the manual one. 

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

manual this is because nobody can steal your car this way.

• Anton
    Lv 6
    8 months ago

Better for what?  I just got a Mitsubishi Mirage and have been looking at the specs.

Gas mileage:  You can get a manual or an auto -- fuel mileage is 2 to 3 mpg better with the auto.

Reliability:  Clutches are not covered, the auto CVT is warranted for 10 years/100,000 miles.

Fun:  The manual has that hands down, even in city stop-n-go traffic.  ("Fun"  hurts the fuel mileage.)

Cost:  The auto costs $1,200 more.  Which the first clutch job will cost more.

Theft:  In the U.S., manuals count for less than 4% of cars/small trucks.  Mostly for old farts.  Most car thieves are kids.  98% of car thieves car get a manual car moving.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

Chauffeur driven or self driving cars is first.

Automatic transmission or manual transmission STILL NEEDS A DRIVER.  The transmission is irrelevant.  THOSE THAT CAN DRIVE manual transmission cars can hop into an automatic and drive INSTANTLY.   Not so much the other way round.

• 8 months ago

Depends on your driving. If you are driving in stop-and-go traffic, an automatic will be much easier on your feet. Constantly shifting gears using a clutch does have it's down side in stop-and-go traffic.

One gets better mileage in a stick (manual) shift car. Also more power goes to the wheels. The automatic is just easier to drive, but at a cost of some loss of horse power since some of the engine's power is being used to operate the automatic transmission. So you decide by what kind of driving you do most of.

I used to drive manual shift cars until I moved into the city and was being wore out in stop-and-go freeway traffic. So I changed to an automatic when it was time to get a new car. Much much easier to drive!

• Sathi
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

I prefer manual. From a dead stop, it allows better traction control to get moving in ice and snow.

• 8 months ago

Automatics. They have better resale value.

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

"Better" FOR WHAT?

• 8 months ago

Automatic. Cars are engineered better than they used to be 30 years ago. They're more efficient. There are some problems with CV transmissions...but, then again, clutches can be expensive too. If you like the feeling of manually shifting gears as a part of your driving experience...and some do...then standard/manual is for you.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.