Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Is it true you have to withhold water for an hour after exercise on breeds prone to bloat.?

• PR

I don't know the answer to that question, but I know what the vet old us when our older Malamute got bloat and stomach torsion:

If your dog/pup has not yet been spayed or neutered, have the vet secure the stomach to the chest wall during the surgery (it is only one or two stitches). I was told this prevents the stomach from twisting, and is very simple to do at this time. Unfortunately, our dog died from the damage done due to the twisting. We had no idea a Malamute could suffer from this.

"Is it true you have to withhold water for an hour after exercise on breeds prone to bloat.?" I just googled your question & you are partially right.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Is+it+true+you+hav...

No.   It's not at all true.   With breeds prone to bloat you shouldn't exercise for a couple of hours after a full meal, and not feed for around an hour after hard exercise.  You don't HAVE to do anything but to minimise the risk of GDV, it's best to be careful.

I try not to let mine pile into loads of water immediately after a meal however as there's a risk of the kibble (if you don't raw feed) swelling in the stomach.  I try to use a complete food that doesn't expand rapidly in warm water.

Source(s): We've had 4 cases of GDV (Bloat with torsion). Despite taking the above care. 3 were elderly males.1 was only 8. 2 survived (one elderly the other the 8 yr.old).

No its complete and utter horseshit .

When you need to drink you drink::::

And the same goes for dogs

Completely untrue and anyone that says different is nuts.