Could the underreporting of homosexuality skew our understanding of the dating marketplace?

For example, if under full disclosure, it were discovered that one or some groups of people (bisexual men who prefer sex with women) have a more limited pool of potential partners than previously estimated, that could reveal an increased probability of dissatisfaction with life and negative social outcomes.

Probably not to any noticeable extent.

There are obviously some people who don't answer questionnaires honestly, but they are already only representative of the cross-section of people who answer questionnaires.

• Sam

Where are these pools of potential partners?  I might like to go swimming in one of them. 

Well, certainly we don't know what the actual breakdown of people's sexualities are.  Heck, the people themselves don't know what their actual sexualities are!  Yet we pretend to know with certainty.  So of course our "dating marketplace", as you put it, reflects a fallacy.

I'm not sure I follow your example of "a more limited pool of potential partners" for bisexual men who prefer women, due to homosexuality being under-reported.  It seems to me that bi guys who prefer girls are going to find girls, no matter how many boys are actually available to them.  Or have I missed your point?

Personally, I think if we defined male bisexuality as the physical/mental ability to maintain an erection thru to orgasm with partners of both genders, then we would find that many, many more boys and men are "bisexual" than we currently imagine.  Perhaps even a majority of them.  As it is, we usually discount early or drunken episodes with the un-prefered gender, as if they never occurred.  THAT is probably skewing our understanding of our dating marketplace, and our understanding of our very selves - (more than underreporting of homosexuality, at least).

Okay, step back a second, you seem to be adding 2+2 and getting infinity.

Yup I BELIEVE that the number of people who are not heterosexual is PROBABLY under-reported.  The fact that it may be under-reported means that if you want to consider societal effects you have to consider how you could improve the statistics to properly reflect society.  So now you are considering the reasons you can then look at the other effects those issues have, you can't just go jumping to conclusions!