Is there any way to make an income without a job?

Asking for my dad. He's been unemployed the last 5 years, living off his savings the entire time. He's basically broke now, and has desperately been looking for a job for the past 10 months or so, to no avail. I'm in no position to help him financially, and he's in serious danger of losing his house. Is there any possible way for him to receive some type of income (like a government benefit such as unemployment) while he continues his job search?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Tasm
    Lv 6
    8 months ago

Yeah, a lot of people do. Some file unemployment, some live off social security benefits. If he has been looking for a job that long, he is just unwilling to work any job. The UPS hires tons of people to help deliver packages during December. Temp agencies could find him work within a few days. He could drive Uber, deliver groceries with Door Dash. Browse Craigs list for jobs and gigs. He could rent part of his house out.

• 8 months ago

When I was laid off my job I worked for an adult phone company.  There are many of them looking for people.  Most you work when you want  and set your own hours.  It will help

• 8 months ago

Wow, long past the time he should have downsized out of the house.  Not working for 5 years is a screaming red flag to employers, I'd be leery of his work ethic.   

• Eva
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

He can't get unemployment because he hasn't worked in 5 years. He may have to lower his expectations to get back into the workforce. A 5 year employment gap is not looked upon favorably and his skills may be a bit rusty.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Sure, open gst seva franchise from home and few time later you will get more profit from this business no need to job. 

Attachment image
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

He can't get unemployment when he hasn't worked in 5 years. And why, by the way, has he been desperately looking for a job for only 10 months, if he's been unemployed for 5 years? He might or might not be eligible for help from some welfare programs.

• 8 months ago

Not unemployment, because he's been unemployed too long. The main requirement for unemployment (even more important than being unemployed) is that the person must have been employed recently enough.

If he's old enough, he could start collecting social security now. If he's disabled, he might qualify for disability benefits.

• 8 months ago

You make money by selling something others are willing to pay for. If you sell labor to a single customer, we call that a job. If you sell labor to several customers, we call that a business.

If he has been unemployed for 5 years, but only considering looking for work as a FULL TIME JOB for 10 months, that alone is 90% of the problem

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

he could get grants to start his own business

• 8 months ago

File for Unemployment. Each states have different rules and statues. Here in Arkansas you have to had not work for at least a month before you can apply

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.