Do you think that people choose their sexuality? Or are they born that way? ?

I'm just curious to hear the opinions of others, whether you think people choose if they want to be gay/ straight or any other sexuality that exist. And please back up your opinion with a reason. 

Edit: I'm reading most of the responses and I get what you guys are saying. I get that a man doesn't like a woman because he "chooses" to but because he was born that way, and the same goes for a homosexual. So basically what you guys are saying is that we are born with our sexuality?

I think otherwise, I think that we are born neither straight nor gay, and then the environment we grow up in influences our sexual preferences. We know nothing when we are born, society teaches us everything. 

There are opinions, and then there are facts.  Science has found this to be a birth condition.  Who would 'choose' to be different in society today, just to be subjected to all that hate and discrimination?

I know 100% no person chooses to be a pedophile.

They are shown complete inhumanity nonetheless. 

It's not a choice, people are born with their sexual preferences, which emerge at puberty. Nothing in your environment "teaches" you to be gay or straight. Seeing left-handed people in the media doesn't make you left-handed, just as nothing external "makes" you homosexual.

Being gay is not something you know, it's something you are.

If it were a choice, why would anyone choose to be part of a minority, get bullied and mocked, risk getting rejected by your family, friends and community, have less chance of finding a partner, etc ? It wouldn't make any sense.

most are born that way. some straight men get bi curious if they lack social skill to get women, or are stuck in jail with a bunch of men. so environment is obviously a factor. 

I don't remember ever 'choosing' to be straight - I just was.

Nobody chooses their sexual orientation.

• Tangi

I think people are born with inclinations, that will lead them more toward one or an other kind of sexuality. This is not a choice.

I think that these inclinations are solidified or contradicted into preferences by the construction of their personality when they're growing up. This is not a choice either.

I think that people can act or not according to these inclinations and preferences, and that's a choice. And it's often not healthy to force yourself toward something that you don't like.

So people do choose what they do of their sexuality, but not what they actually prefer.

• Sky

Nobody chooses their sexuality.  They are born that way because it's how their brain was wired before birth.  I never chose my sexuality.  The only choice a person has is whether or not to act on their sexuality and pursue who they're attracted to based on that sexuality, ie. whether to be in the closet or out, whether to be single or in a relationship, etc.

I will use my son as an example. I often know things to be true because he is intellectually disabled and doesn't have the same lens to see the world as most people do.

When he was a toddler he loved to dress up in my  moms square dance slips and try on my jewelry.When he was around 10 he told me he was gay. I was OK with that. My two best friends, his Godfather were a gay couple.   Eventually I realized he saw them as his role models and he wanted to be like them.He got a little older and his body made it clear he found girls attractive.  I discussed it with him and let him know I was OK with him being gay or straight. Older yet he was equally in love with the Spice Girls and the Back Street Boys. I didn't discourage either attraction. Fast track to now. He remains attracted to both sexes. He has some sense of what is socially acceptable. Sohe is not inclined to say he is gay. But he openly discusses how he likes both men and women. 

I didn't attempt to influence him to be any specific sexuality. He was exposed to lots of healthy gay and straight sexuality. He could have gone in either direction, but he didn't.  So I think he is being true to himslef - totally flexible and capable of unconditional love for all.

The only people arguing 100% nature or 100% nurture are either people who are scared of the political fallback for telling the truth, or people who are militants and want to oppress the truth.

Identical twin studies completely annihilate the 100% nature and the 100% nurture arguments, but the militants ignore facts and science, instead they threaten people who explain it.

Identical twin studies have repeatedly shown that there is a higher chance for identical twins to be any LGBTQ+ than a fraternal twin, but that chance is still not 100%. The rates change between studies but the important part is that it is neither 100% nor 0%. This means we have a nature influence AND a nurture influence.

Trolls who don't understand science will yammer about Conservative families now, ignoring how many children of conservative families grow up to be liberals. Nurture is complex, most every teenager is bisexual and gender fluid (Erikson identity vs role confusion) we have centuries of documentation about this but LGBTQ+ made it all disappear overnight, now when teenagers act like teenagers they're LGBTQ+ (pushed into "questioning") instead of just a typical teenager. All teenagers question, all teenagers experiment, the difference is the militant hate groups that don't like science.

The point being, part of childhood development is self-discovery and finding out what works for you, with so many people trying to make retroactive claims to how their personality developed in their 3-6 year-old span (really absurd things like "I always noticed boys more") and ignoring just how much development goes on during puberty, well... it's an insult to centuries of scientific progress to claim "development stops at birth cause it hurts my feelings otherwise"

Interesting to note that brain maturation continues well into the mid twenties. Brains aren't this fixed inflexible item you're born with, and sexual orientation fluidity has been well documented (most people just call it sexual fluidity but trolls insist that any scientists that say "sexual fluidity" are talking about something other than "sexual orientation fluidity")

The problem with militant trolls is that they don't care about facts because facts hurt their feelings. The FACTS do not support 100% nature or 100% nurture, they do not support "born that way" and the FACTS do support sexual orientation fluidity. They'll demand sources for things easily found because their goal isn't to read the sources, but claim the sources are too old (appeal to novelty) or that the sources don't confirm their beliefs thus they're wrong. Sealion Trolls are bad.