Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

I gave someone permission to drive my uninsured car and they totaled it. Can I sue them?

20 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

NO BUT they can sue you and whomever they had the accident can also sue you for loaning it to them and all states require you to have insurance to legally have your car on the road or even parked on it.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

In my State you cannot seek remedy when an illegal act is involved.  If insurance is required in your State the permission to drive the uninsured car was an illegal act.

No.

• 2 months ago

Did you tell them it was uninsured, and also, knowing it was uninsured, did you do anything to seek assurance that they would be getting cover? Because chances are, if you knew it was uninsured and you didn't tell them or ask them to get insurance, then you are gonna be **** out of luck. You gave someone permission to drive uninsured, so now you gotta eat the cost of that. 

• 2 months ago

You certainly can sue them.  The type and amount of compensation you can be awarded may depend upon your state laws on "fault" (or "no-fault"), versus straight tort law, or "no pay, no play" statutes.  If you live in a state that requires car insurance (not all do), you might also face administrative fines for your violation, but that is a separate issue from whether you can sue for damages done to your property.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Ask Judge Judy she eats stupid people (no insurance) for breakfast but when she spits you out there "ain't" no money to go with her rath.

• 2 months ago

You can try. Were they negligent? Accident their fault?

• 2 months ago

Yes. They are responsible.

• PAMELA
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No you cannot, you are breaking the law by not having insurance, courts do not help people who break the law.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Not having car insurance isn't always illegal.  Also, what difference does it make to the court whether it's you or your insurance company suing the person who caused the damages?

• 2 months ago

Your decision was foolish.

• Cogito
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No.  You were at fault for not insuring your car and for allowing someone else to drive it.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.