Home Depot worker and attendance for 6 months?

So I need help. I have officially been working with home depot for 6 months now and still have trouble understanding the attendance. I have anxiety and depression and some days are harder than others. Due to that I have had to call out because of that. Not all my absences are because of this. Some were from not feeling well or sick. Today however was one of those reasons with my anxiety. My concern is in the 6 months that I have been there, today would make 10 times I've called out. I only have had a coaching. No counseling or final. But I don't want to lose my job since I am the only one between me and my mom that can work. So the money is needed. But every time I call out I get concerned that they'll fire me. But one of my co workers said they would have to put me on a final first. That they don't just fire you. So should I be worried at this point? Or am I in the clear since I only have a coaching? Any help would be great.

• Judy

Yes you should be worried if you want to keep your job.  10 call-offs in 6 months is so high that most places you'd have been fired by now.   There is no legal requirement for a final warning. That  might be the usual policy, and there are very likely exceptions made.  By asking this question this way, you imply that if you knew you would get fired if you called off again, you wouldn't call off.  "Am I in the clear" also sounds like you're just a poor employee.  

Is your depression and anxiety diagnosed by a doctor?  If so, talk to them about how you can deal better with them so you don't end up getting fired.  If you're self-diagnosed, get over it and stop making excuses, or seek medical help.  Even if you're medically diagnosed, FMLA gives you no protection, you have to be there a year, and worked 1250 hours during the 12 months immediately prior to FMLA leave.t

You would already be fired if you worked for my company, but I have no idea what Home Depot’s policies are. You should have received (or have online access to) an employee handbook that might explain the attendance policy, or you could ask your manager.

I would have thought that someone that concerned about not losing their job would ensure they showed up for work.

With such poor attendance you will be FIRED real soon.

In my years as a manager, i never fired anyone. But if someone called in sick 4-6 times in 6 months, I would have fired them. 10 is incomprehensible to me.

But, its up to your boss, your relationship with them and how desperate they are.

I wanted people I could count on. I occasionally had people call in, but the way you call in, I would have let you go as being unreliable.

I never had anyone call in half as much as you. 

In all my years of working, from age 14-25, I called in one time because I had a cut on my hand and I was a dishwasher at the time. The manager said bring a drs excuse but I just showed up the following week and he did not mention it and neither did I. (My hand was healed by then)

• Eva

10 days in 6 months? Get prepared to be fired. An employer is not going to put up with that much irresponsibility for long. Calling out for anxiety and/or depression is not acceptable and makes you look like an unreliable employee. Anyone can be fired for excessive absenteeism, no matter what the cause.

10 days in 6 months due to illness...yeah, that's a problem.  

Expect them to be looking for reasons to fire you...period.  

Deal with your anxiety and maybe you can keep your next job, I'd be shocked if you still work for them for another 6 months. 

Yes you should be worried.   Calling in sick almost twice a month is a big problem.

Have you been diagnosed with a disability?   Have you discussed whether your health care provider is willing to sign FMLA medical certification for you?    There are ways you MIGHT be able to help protect your job IF you meet the criteria.

But in general, you must follow the company's attendance policy if you want to keep your job.  Calling in sick every 2-3 weeks on an ongoing basis really isn't reasonable. 

• A Hunch

He isn't eligible for FMLA because s/he hasn't been with the company for 1 year.  There might be a state or local ordinance that provides job protection at 6 months. 

You have missed 10 day in 6 months due to illness.  That's an excessive (which you know).  If you only work part-time, it is beyond excessive.

They do not need to give you a written or final warning.  They can let you go immediately.

You need to figure out how to manage your anxiety so that it doesn't impact your job.

- are you seeing a therapist.

- are you practicing anti-stress activities

- are you avoiding all caffeine?

- do you strive to eliminate processed sugars?

there is more, but that is a good start. 

Each company has their own policies.

Calling out 10 times in 6 months is excessive.  My guess is that you are on thin ice.