Alex asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 8 months ago

What is the reason for a marriage? And why do people still do this?

I see no reason for marriages do not like discussion without reasons.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Burgoo
    Lv 6
    8 months ago
    Favourite answer

i have no idea i cannot imagine any

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

cause they like each other and want to have kids together

• Edna
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

A marriage is a legal Civil contract between two people, that gives you both certain legal  rights and responsibilities.

To name a few:  If you're not legally married, you can't make any medical decisions for your partner in case of his or her debilitating illness or accident. You're not legal next-of-kin - his family is. You have no say-so in where he or she is buried - the family does. You and your children have no right of inheritance.  You can't be covered as part of his or her medical insurance that is obtained through an employer.   

• 8 months ago

It is easier to walk out of a relationship that has no permanent ties like a marriage certificate. Getting married is a serious decision. They will try to stay together because they truly love the person and have the intention of being with that one person for as long as they live. The promise for a girl from her husband to be to want to be with her forever and start a family is not only reassuring for her but also gives her security. When she has children there is a lot higher chance that the father will be there for the child. She will have the support from her husband in bringing up the child. .......................................

https://firstthings.org/myths-about-living-togethe...

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 8 months ago

"What is the reason for a marriage? And why do people still do this?"

The institution of marriage in a traditional family setting is the best way to raise children.  If you're not intending to have children, then I too don't really see the point of marriage anymore, here in the West.

Our society has accepted feminist equality.  So most women work today for their basic resources.  The evolutionary exchange of a women's fertility for a man's resources has been broken.  So unless one intends on having kids, where most couples are forced by circumstances back into the traditional arrangement, then each of us are equal competitors rather than compliments that work together.  Why even go there?  Who wants to compete?

If/when the marriage ends, the divorce courts treat women as if they are helpless maidens from the medieval days where the men will have to give up a portion of their finances to support them lest they die of insolvency.  This is the punitive part of marriage.  Again ... why go there!

• God
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Marriage is a pledge of loyalty.  It tells the other person in a deed what you have been telling them verbally.

• Mandy
    Lv 6
    8 months ago

If you don’t see any reason for it, then I am sure that you won’t get married.  Why could others’ reasons matter?

• Mikey
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Reasons for marriage vary widely.  Why? I have no idea.  Marriage can never have a happy ending.  Its either death or divorce.  What's happy about either of those?

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

You are insecure and not physically prepared for responsibility, care and love.

You are not raised up in a loving manner and not fit to face the challenges in the marriage world.

• Dze
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

honor, loyalty, vows, and functional family units comprising a society that actually works .. people instinctively know its right .. it just doesnt fit in the current world system very well .. should tell you something about the system ..

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.