What would the ideal choice of Pets for Seniors living at home, alone?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • reme_1
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

A parakeet- easy to clean

a cat- easy to clean

A small dog- which doesn't have to be walked far

an alligator, panther or python if you don't want company.

• Ron
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

A short haired dog that lives OUTSIDE and goes on walks with me.

• 2 months ago

probably a budgie.

• 2 months ago

Well obviously it would depend on the mobility of the individual and what arrangements would be made in the event the pet outlives the owner.  

Many active seniors can deal perfectly well with a dog, and the benefit of having one is it gets them out and about - people make lots of contacts with other like-minded dog owners that way so they need not be so isolated.   My m-i-l had a budgie who seemed to give her endless amusement.   Cats can be a good idea although only if they aren't the kind that come and go when they feel like it.   Not much companionship in that!!

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Jojo
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

In MY opinion that would depend on how mobile the Senior person was and if they had any dislike of a particular animal. I had an old auntie once that lived alone and for many years she found companionship with a budgerigar that she trained to talk a bit. Cats are a favourite for housebound elderly people as they don`t need to be walked and are happy to live indoors permanently. I`m a 74 year old female living alone now for almost 30 years and my companion is my German Shepherd dog, and as I am very mobile I enjoy walking him and training him each day. 

Of course a smaller lap dog would be a lot easier and less maintenance than large dog. As I said, it all does depend on the health and the preferences of the individual older senior person. 

Source(s): GSD owner for 57 years.
  • Edna
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

A cat!  You don't have to walk a cat outside in cold, rainy weather; and a cat will curl up next to you in the bed at night and keep you warm. As long as you keep a cat's food bowl full of kibble, they're happy. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Cats maybe? They do most of the upkeep themselves.

• 2 months ago

birds (quiet ones) or fish

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

A cat, ours is very affectionate and does not need walks.

• y
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Cats are easier to take care of, dogs require more interaction to keep their minds active.  How much energy does the individual have plays into this.

• Marge T2 months agoReport

Thank you y!

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.