Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 8 months ago

Would you feel upset if another driver on the road gave you the rude “middle finger” sign as they feel you’ve cut them off?

This young, under 35, guy was very rude and frowned at me and looked angry.

I was turning right from a mall car park and he waa going right ahead but I had plenty of time to turn before he drove past.

As i drove past him he gave me the finger sign.

Im female and over 40 & a good driver so am upset over this.

How to not be?

Was he trying to make me upset as im an older woman driver?

Ie an “easy abuse target”

Why are young men so rude to older women?

I gave him time to drive past me yet still he was abusive

Trolls are rreported

Your nasty lita.. reported!

Any hate or nastiness from anyone is reported

I have had people cut in front of me and gave me the middle finger, I just laugh at them and let them know, I could not care less. I am in no hurry to get into an accident. I would not do it to him because many keep a gun inside the car. it is not like when we where younger. people had more manners on the road

• Chanel

He obviously was a nasty person to do that.

Do not spare him another thought cos you are the one who is hurting and he has probably forgotten about it.

• Chiaro

As a man, I've had men my age do this to me, so try not to feel that it's about your age or gender.  I'm saying that because I want to help you feel as little hurt as possible when things like that happen.  People's actions are often a lot more about them than they are about you.  Just gotta be glad you're not someone who goes around flipping people off.  Something to be thankful for : ) 

You were on the receiving end of another driver's frustration and it is highly unlikely this was a targeted, personal attack on you, your gender or your age. Men and women of all ages can and do express their frustration when they are driving. Given your reaction, be open to reflecting on what specifically caused you to become upset. Perhaps there is something underlying how you feel about yourself or how you believe others see you.

Just let this one go. His perception of "plenty of time" was probably different from yours, especially if he had hard rock music playing at high volume, or had been smoking something. Sure, it was a rude gesture, but quiet talk was not available.

Be glad you won't be seeing him again any time soon.

• Lita

Why are you making such a generalization? One young man rude to you doesn't mean that all young men are rude to older women. If you are sensitive enough to post about it, you really need to grow a thicker skin or stop driving.

i wouldnt like that either but if youre lucky you might not see him again

some people feel that they own the road--and NO ONE should get in front of them EVER.  I am amazed that people really think they are driving by themselves when in a hugely populated area--it has nothing to do with your age or that you are a woman--it has everything to do with their twisted attitude.

don't be upset, just give the middle finger back then forget about it.

Maybe he was just angry because he got fired 15 minutes earlier