Convert water heater from gas to propane?

I just bought a home and it has natural gas water heater but the home uses propane, I have asked a couple of people and they told me that I can just buy a natural gas water heater and have a plumber replace a little valve so I can use it with propane, but then there’s other guys that say that water heaters aren’t made the same anymore so you can’t replace that little valve and that now i have to buy the whole controller and burner kit so i can use propane, Is this true? I also have read that only certain brands can be converted to propane, can anyone help me or guide me to an answer.

If the house uses propane then the natural gas water heater has probably all ready been converted too propane. Have you looked at the flame to see if it blue. If it is then it probably has been converted. 

Your local propane supplier should be able to tell you if it has been converted.

check with maker of the existing water heater ... why replace if a conversion is enough?

How come the home has a natural gas heater when the home uses propane?

Anyway, you just need to get SOMEONE THAT KNOWS WHAT THEY'RE DOING to replace the burner jet with the right one.

Don't ask random people that know jack sh1t. Use a qualified and registered contractor.