Do photons produce gravitational waves?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Photons have energy so they have gravity. But gravity waves are only made when something accelerates. Photons always move at the same speed, so they don't accelerate. So they don't produce gravity waves.

• 2 months ago

Gravitational waves require some sort of interaction between objects with mass. Photons do not have ordinary mass.

• 2 months ago

No.  You'd need mass to interact with space/time for that; photons are massless. 

• neb
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Never thought of that before.

In order to generate gravitational waves, a minimum of a quadrupole source is required, such as the orbiting of two black holes around a common center of mass. This creates an accelerating asymmetric quadrupole source. 

While photons produce very small gravitational fields, photons can only orbit in the highly unstable photon sphere at 3/2 the Schwarzschild radius of a black hole where they would emit vanishingly small amounts of gravitational waves. They would be completely undetectable by any imaginable technology.I suppose you could set up obscure experiments with some sort of bound photons, but again, the energy density would be so small that gravitational waves would not be detectable.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Photons are energy and energy gravitates -- so if you get a sufficient amount of them moving through space ,a gravitational wave must be generated 

• D g
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

if they did they would have detected them easily since only large collisions of black holes do so far and since they only see them from such a collision i would say no

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I'd guess no since they move at the speed of light and have no mass. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.