Can I enter the USA under a travel visa and then switch to a working visa? ?

I am going to the US from Australia to travel for a couple of months but then I have an internship which I will need a working visa. Can I enter under a travel visa and then switch to a working visa? Does anyone know the process? 

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 months ago

No.

Only the employer can apply for your work visa, and it's entirely up to a company whether they want to sponsor you or not. In general, they have to demonstrate that you have the knowledge, skill, or talent to fill their position, and that they are unable to find a qualified candidate within the United States. In other words, they have to justify bringing an alien to the US to fill their position.There is an annual limit on the number of those work visas which are made available. The quota for the next fiscal year usually become available an April 1st. Companies that want to sponsor workers usually flood USCIS with petitions at that time. Traditionally, the available visa slots are allocated within a week or two. An employer can submit a petition after that, but it will be denied because the slots have all been allocated. If the petition is accepted and approved then the visa will usually be approved within a few months. You can't start working until the beginning of the fiscal year your visa is issued for, which is October 1st.If there's a job you think you're well qualified for then it wouldn't hurt to contact the company and inquire about being sponsored for a work visa. You should probably contact as many companies as you think you're qualified to work at. April 1st is coming fast and it would be a perfect time to go to interviews while vacationing in the United States.

Source(s): An immigrant from Europe, I live on the American Riviera and work as an attorney in Santa Barbara, California.
    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 months ago

The USA requires 4 years before applying for citizenship. Anyone can live there. The immigration usa.gov has a chat you can ask.

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

You can enter the US for tourism purposes under your Visa Waiver privileges but would need to leave and reenter with the proper visa when you return for your internship.

• 4 months ago

Nope - you can't change from a tourist visa to anything else.

You need to apply for a work visa from your country of residence; ie the US

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 months ago

No. You cannot change status from tourist to employment within the US. ESTA (visa waiver for citizens of certain countries) is strictly limited to a maximum of 90 days, and there is an absolute prohibition on any extension, renewal, change of status. ANY violation of ESTA gets you permanently barred from visa waiver privileges. And you can be sure that violating ESTA (or tourist visa) will ensure you can never get any employment visa, either.

ONLY employers can apply for any employment visa. You must be interviewed at the US consulate nearest your home, and must be approved for & receive the employment visa prior to entering the US. If you have been offered an internship, your employer must apply. If the employer cannot or will not get your visa, you do NOT have any valid offer. Only qualified employers can apply for any employment visa for their foreign employees.

If your employer is applying for your visa, do NOT attempt to visit US first as you could miss your interview notice, etc. You need to be home, act timely on that, or no visa for you.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

No.............. you have to return home and get the 'work visa' before you can reenter on that

• sam
    Lv 6
    4 months ago

No. You must return home and reapply

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.