xsh asked in HealthGeneral Health CareInjuries · 8 months ago

Do I need to go for ORIF surgery?


My left finger was fractured.. It's been a month already and was advised to go for ORIF surgery but I'm really worried and scared.. The finger can't close fully and deviated.. Is it possible to come back normal even I won't go for surgery? It's fine if it's deviated coz it's not that visible..

2 Answers

  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

    yes.. you should undergo Open Reduction and Internal Fixation as recommended.. to restore function of your finger and to prevent complications.. normally, simple fractures require Closed Manual Reduction (it means pulling the bones into alignment without making an incision) and holding the bones in alignment from outside like a cast or a splint-slab, or with external fixation (called K wires) with needle-like nails holding the broken parts together..

    once the bones are back into the normal alignment, it is very important to hold the bones in its exact position for the next few weeks (3-4 months) - with a cast, with a splint-slab, with wires (k-wires) or with a metal plate.. the 2 parts of the broken bone will have sticky ends that will dry-out within few weeks/months for the 2 parts to be glued together - like using a SuperGlue to bring broken pieces together.. if the broken parts are pushed out of the alignment before the glue hardened or before the bones are fused together, the bones will be out of alignment; and this misalignment (mal-union) creates its own set of problems, such as stiff joints, inability to flex the entire finger fully, chronic pain, and also nerve damage, blood vessel damage or both, leading to finger's death and amputation..

    ORIF is a term used for filing and for scheduling for operation.. but what happens is that Orthopaedics surgeons would try the simpler methods first.. they will try CMR first without creating a wound - they will try to pull your finger back to alignment (like a sadistic child pulling the limbs of his/her doll) and see if they can hold the broken bones in that position using a splint-slab or a cast..

    and it has to be done in the OR or the OT because pulling, manipulating and examining broken bones, is painful without the anaesthesia.. the surgeon will keep moving your broken bones, until he/she is satisfied that bones are in alignment and can be held with a cast or with a splint-slab.. if not, a surgeon will stab the skin above the bone and insert nails (called K wires) to secure the bone further in addition to the cast or the splint-slab..

    if the bones are too unstable with the cast, the splint-slab, or with the K-wire; and they are in real danger for losing the alignment, then the surgery would move into ORIF.. open reduction (making a wound, and pulling the bones from the inside), and internal fixation (usually means inserting a very small metallic plate with screws) and sometimes with K-wire.. this is to insure the best alignment and a good hold for weeks to come.. and again, this is to prevent common complications to the joints, as i mentioned earlier.. and you may wear a splint-slab or a cast for about 3-4 months.. with some X ray appointments to make sure that bones are not going out of alignment or getting infected.. after 4 months (could be earlier if the healing is fast), you would start some training at the Physiotherapy, physical therapy or occupational therapy department, to make sure that the joints are not going still.. and around that time, your surgeon may schedule a removal surgery to remove the K-wire (and 2 years later, to remove the metal plate) - this subsequent surgery is less critical and takes about 10 minutes to remove these items..

    all the best..

  • 8 months ago

    What does your doctor say?

    Asking a bunch of people on the internet is not a way to get a valid opinion. Even a doctor would need to see the xrays and other medical documentation before offering an opinion.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.