Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 1 month ago

I think I'm in love with one of my best friends. What do I do?

I will warn you that this will probably be quite long as I will explain the whole situation as much as I can. I am currently a sophomore in college, and I have been friends with this guy basically since we moved in over a year ago.  We have gotten really close and have been through quite a bit together, and we hang out like all the time. He is a super hard person to read and doesn't open up to people much, but he would talk to me about anything and everything. We even ended up living in an apartment with some other people in our friend group this semester. He can sometimes be an asshole and end up being super mean to me, so there was a bit of a hiccup in our friendship over the summer, but we got over it and now we are even closer than we were before. I talked to him about how he was acting and he has made a real effort to be a little bit nicer sometimes. I started to have feelings for him but I ignored them in hopes that they would just go away, but the more I see him, the more I notice that those feelings are still there. I know that it would never happen, and he would probably just laugh in my face if I told him that I had feelings for him, but I still cannot just push the feelings away. He just recently started talking to a new girl and he keeps trying to talk to me about he, but I really don't want to hear about it. I don't know what to do, because I really want to tell him how I really feel, but I really don't want to lose this friendship or make it awkward.

Any time you feel you need to tell someone else how to act around you you've already lost the battle. But in terms of getting over him the best remedy is distance. Just steer clear of him until the romantic feelings go away and maybe someday you two can be real friends again.

Being in love with someone needs to be mutual. Having feelings for someone isn’t something you just drop in their lap. It’s inconsiderate. Not loving.

In your particular situation, what you do is tell him you don’t want to hear about her when he talks about her. Make him aware you don’t want it.

Since you’re good friends it’s worth a discussion. You’re not very close if he doesn’t investigate what you’re saying.

The point is, you need to create an environment for talking about feelings, one that includes him. It’s enough to do that by telling him you don’t want to hear about her.