Why don't doctors offices use Apple Macintosh?

I go into a doctor's office and see nothing but Windows machines

16 Answers

Relevance
  • P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Like most businesses they want computers that can run custom designed software designed for their business.  In this case they need software for doctor's offices.  Most specialized business software does not even work on a Mac aside from the newer Cloud programs that run on pretty much anything.  The fact that most PC configurations cost less is also a nice bonus. 

• 1 month ago

Why should it matter? The answer is they're too expensive and don't have the flexibility of any other independent OS to deliver or allow the delivery of bespoke and/or custom software solutions.

Apple is grossly overrated anyway.

• 1 month ago

The server is Windows and all of the Doctors use Windows OS to connect to the server and not all printers can support Apple Printers

• Dick
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Because in the "medical universe" Windows is the how information is provided and shared. It's not the Apple's OS is terrible, it's because in the early days of the computer "craze" most people and businesses were buying Windows machines for many reasons. The two biggest reasons was that Apple couldn't communicate with Windows, and Apple products were ridiculously expensive as compared to Window machines and software. Those days got the whole evolution into Windows growing by the proverbial "leaps and bounds". Apple was not a big seller, and even in today's world lags far behind Windows in total computers being used in the computing world. It's unlikely that Apple will ever be able to compete on a totally equal basis with Windows unless Apple makes their OS fully capable of interfacing with Windows machines. Software, obviously, must make that leap also if the Apple and Windows world are ever to functionally merge. JMHO

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Enigma
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Do you know what the price of Apple products are?

• John
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

dewcoons told the story quite well.  Apple's decision to make all components proprietary brought in lots of cash but ultimately was tragic for their computer division. If a doctor wants to upgrade they'd probably keep the PC and go to Unix/linux.

• 1 month ago

Windows got its start by supplying operating systems and programs for IBM.  At that time they ruled the business world.  As such Microsoft took 90% of the business market while Jobs was still building Apple PCs in his garage.  

When the Apple came out, Jobs kept everything about it proprietary.  Only Apple could make an Apple PC or sell the Apple OS and programs.  IBM invented the PC in 1983, and after 3 years stopped making them.  They did not patent any of the technology nor tie up the rights to the Microsoft programs.  As a result dozens of companies began cloning the PC (with Windows on them) for a fraction of the cost of a Apple MAC.  Apple was pushed out of the market and nearly went bankrupt.

The ONLY place were Apple got a foothold was in education.  They were smart enough to supply schools with free Apple computers.  And that was what began to sell them to the "kids".  Without those, Apple would not exist.

As a result 99% of programs for businesses are designed to run on Windows and not on MACs.  Thus business use Windows because that is their only real option.

Jobs had been fired from Apple, and after several years he made a hostile take over of the company.  He pulled back on make computers and instead invented the iPod (which saved the company) and the iPad which made them "cool".

Even today most business software will not run a MAC.  The large business I support has a handful of MACs because some of the owners insisted that they had to have MACs.  But they are set up to run Windows because none of the software they need will run on a MAC.  Waste of money for them to have MACs as they cost double what a PC would.

Apple does have an advantage that since they control both the hardware and the software, they can be sure that their OS works correctly on their computers.  While Microsoft has to deal with making their OS working on hundreds of different makes of computers and with thousands of different drivers and software packages.  It is the drivers and the software add ons that cause most of the issues with Windows, not the program itself.  (Last year Apple released more fixes to its OS then Windows 10 did.)

The reason that most businesses use Windows and not Apples is because they are cheaper, have a larger hardware base, have a larger software base, and easier to support and repair because the parts are not proprietary.

• Snezzy
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Apple is also in publishing. Newspapers were early adopters, replacing outrageously expensive Photon and Compugraphic machines with 512k Macs with a laser printer.

• Dave
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Because the vast majority of software development is done for windows. The software needed to run most medical offices are only made for Windows. It has nothing whatsoever to do with cost.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Because they are standard, can "talk" to each other without klunky interfaces, and are substantially cheaper.

Hmmm.  Well, different strokes for different folks, but the LAST thing I look at when I am in a doctor's office is "what kind of computers they have".

• dewcoons
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

It may just be me, but the computers are usually the first thing I look at.  But then I support and develop software for medical practices and hospitals.  I like to sew what is being used out there.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Simple, cuz they are 1/6 the price. Same reason all you see are HP and Dell, they are the cheapest of the cheap

Source(s): I am the owner of an IT Solutions business
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.