Youssef asked in HealthOptical · 10 months ago

Eye examination test?

Hello, I was just at an eye doctor and while doing the E chart test; the doctor flipping lenses to find the most appropriate one for me, I could see the E’s opening directions; however, the E itself was a bit out of focus and hazy, but i could see the opening direction.

Is that normal, or does the E have to be in focus during that test? He gave me a -0.75 for both eyes

Thank you.

It's pretty unusual to use the tumbling Es if the patient knows their alphabet. During the test, the best choice is bracketed so neither choice may be very clear. When the doctor got to the end of the test and had you tell which way the Es were open (again a pretty absurd thing to do for someone who knows the alphabet) things should have been clear or you should have been given a reason why they were not.

Letters or in your case Es are assumed to be clear when you can correctly identify them. The very smallest are going to be hard to see.

• KatieC

I don’t really understand your question. If you don’t have perfect vision, the E shouldn’t be totally clear with no lens. Do you mean that it was never clear the entire exam? Because if hats the case, you should have said so to your doctor.

If the E didn't focus you should say so.