Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 9 months ago

What would you do in this situation?

Your husband has a friend with small children, and he or his wife is always asking you to babysit them while they work. They just come by whenever and try to drop them off. You only casually know these people, like their kids okay, but don't want to be used as a babysitter. They promise to pay you for it but never do, and if you refuse they act like you are being mean not to want to watch their kids.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 months ago
    Favourite answer

Tell her you aren't able to watch their children especially if they don't arrange it ahead of time.   

And if they are promising to pay you and don't then refuse to watch then ever again.

Their children are not your responsibility.

• 9 months ago

It's interesting, isn't it? Folks expecting that other people will just happily watch after their dogs and their kids so that they can dash off together without them. And for free as well.

Are you sure that they are just "dropping by" and that your husband didn't know about this ahead of time?Talk about that. He might know. If they are just "dropping by" to try to force you to babysit their kids then I think you need to tell your husband that the next time it happens, YOU are going to leave the house and go do something else for yourself. If you are home alone when they do this, you crack the door, say, "Now is not a good time. You need to call and ask in the future. I've other things to do. Goodbye. " and shut the door again.

• PAMELA
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Oh for god's sake get a spine, tell them in no uncertain terms that you will not babysit their children anymore, just tell them, do not answer the door if they just turn up, stop doing it! If you do not work get a job, be out when they call, they will soon get the message.

• 9 months ago

These are your husband's friends, not yours. You are in no way obligated to be a free baby sitter for kids you don't even know or care about. That's not being "mean" that's being "normal". If they want a sitter they should get one and pay for her. If your husband wants to keep these shitty friends he can babysit their kids.Why do you care about the opinion of people that aren't even your friends?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 9 months ago

If they haven't had the common courtesy to make any arrangements with you, when you see them coming to drop the kids off, grab your handbag and keys and meet them at the door with "Oh dear, what bad timing. I am just on my way out.". And go with them out the door. Drive around the block if you have to.

Do that often enough and they will hopefully look for another free sitter.

OR you could simply stand up for yourself and say you won't do it unless they make forward arrangements or pay UP FRONT with a set price per hour. You do not need to let these people, the casual acquaintances, use you like that.

• 9 months ago

Don't answer the door.

• RP
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

It seems like you are being taken advantage of and would like it to stop. You can either tell them you are no longer available and stop immediately or you can, over time, turn down their offer (to let you be their unpaid babysitter) more frequently. Eventually, they will determine you're unreliable and seek another sucker. There may be other ways to accomplish the same, but those are two you might want to consider.

• Mikey
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Why do you care if they think are you mean?

• 9 months ago

So they think I'm mean. Be mature and say no. You don't have to stick around for their reaction.

• 9 months ago

Tell them you need prior notice so that you won't have anything scheduled when they need you to? Who keeps them at other times. they in daycare?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.