Did I intentionally piss him off?

I have asked my husband to be responsible for the maintenance of our cars. Several months ago I bought a used 2009 Nissan Murano. About 2 months ago the tire pressure light came on and it worried me. My husband said that those little batteries only last about 10 years and he said they are not worth replacing unless I just want to light to go out. He said that as long as my tires are properly inflated there's no need to spend some $500 just to replace the sensors and get a dashboard light turned off. Well, this morning after I left for work I decided to stop at a repair shop close to my job and they are telling me that I have the wrong sized tires on my car and that they are starting to dry rot and would replace them for almost $1000. They said that's why the light was on. When I told my husband I did this he hit the roof. He said that if he's going to be responsible for the maintenance then I need to listen to him. No, I didn't put new tires on the car but I did take it to another shop to get a second opinion and they didn't say anything about the tires being the wrong size or dry rotting. They did turn off the light and my husband said that's an unnecessary fix because the light will come back on if they didn't replace the sensors. So right now he's furious with me because he said I never listen to him and from now on he wants me to take my car to a shop instead of asking him. What do I do? Did I piss him off intentionally?

• D50

I've only had one car with a tire pressure sensor (Toyota) and there's a button on the dashboard to turn it off. Isn't that the way they all are? At first I believed it; now I just turn off the light and glance at the tires from time to time like I would anyway.

• mmm

I guess I'd be pretty ticked off if my wife called to tell me that I have the wrong size tires and they are dry rotted and that is why the light is on.

he is upset you didn't believe/trust him - did you piss him off intentionally? nope - that doesn't really matter - he is upset

• ANDREW

Your husbands a d!ck and cares little for your safety 

It's your car, why taking your car to a car shop sets him off this easily? I don't see what's the issue for him. You wanted a second opinion, it doesn't mean you don't trust him, it just means you wanted a second opinion.

What do you do? You tell him to chill the F¨¨¨¨ out and behave like an adult. Is this the hill he wants to die on? let him.

• Tepee

First, do a simple online search to determine the proper tire size for your vehicle. Second, Tell hubby that you agreed for him to take care of any issues with your car but if he fails to solve them then you'll have to handle it yourself.

I hate to tell you this but the sensible thing to have done was have the air pressure checked. A lot of those lights that come on in a car can be resolved simply by removing the ground wire on the battery. How much did you pay them for fixing the sensors? Are you sure they actually did anything to them? It shouldn't have cost 500 to replace the batteries in them if they even had batteries in them. Tell him you should've checked them and if you aren't going to when I ask you, then don't come to me wanting sex. If he isn't into sex anymore you can just omit that.

• Ace Shorty

Here is a complete wireless system for 69 dollars. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC526783/

nobody here has any way of knowing what you intended. you are the only one who can possibly know whether you did this with the intention of pissing him off. if you don't know your own mind how can a stranger?

• I have no idea what your "intentions" were. Did you do all this to upset him or prove him wrong?  Then yes.  If not, then no.  Was these trips to the repair shops expensive?  If yes, then hubby has a reason to be upset because you got little to nothing out of it.  If not, then he might be a tad controlling/immature/insecure.  But he is right that if you are not going to listen to him and do what you want, then you should just handle the maintenance for your vehicle. 

Men like to be problem-solvers. And they don't like to be shown up as wrong.

BTW, the tire pressure light has nothing to do with the amount of tread or the age of the tires. It's all about the tire pressure. You should be able to see if your tires are inflated unevenly, or if there's a flat surface along the bottom when the car is parked. It's true that some of those sensor lights can be ignored- the Car Talk guys used to advise putting duct tape over them. But you should be able to get the car checked out when you want to. I don't know how to resolve this with your husband. If he's going to get his feelings hurt over every little thing, there's not much you can do. 

• No, they said to put a piece of electrical tape over the indicators, not duct tape.  Electrical tape is black, so it would look better.

• k w

naw...he just took it that way.... some things you can tell him and some things not, now you know.....but it's not against the law for you to learn what signs to look for, nor how to read the mfr date right on the tires, just so you know, and don't have to depend on someone else