Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

Would you tell an elderly woman she pushed in line & queue jumped?

An older woman did this yesterday & the cashier did nothing, no one said a word.

I saw this as I walked past.

Why do some old women think they’re entitled enough to be so rude

Just because you’re 80 does not mean you can skip the line or push in!

Really Pearl?

• patty

they are old, u may do this when u are old.

You should have told her to move.

The answer to this kind of question must always depend on far more information than you've given.

You were walking by: you may just possibly have missed the earlier part where people in the queue all said, 'Here, love, come in front of me'. You may have missed the part where she only had three items and everyone else had twenty.

We don't know whether she just shoved her way in, or whether she did it gently and politely, her facial expression showing that she was unsure if it would be OK.

We don't know whether she's there every day and is well known to the staff and many of the customers and they're all OK with it.

There could be MANY relevant circumstances but all you've told us is that she was 'old'.

Not Enough Information.

• denise

Say to her, "Excuse me, there is a queue"!.

Some people give elderly citizens leeway when it comes to certain behavior and perhaps the cashier simply did not want to become emotionally engaged with this customer.  Also, there can be a sense of entitlement from some elderly people as they believe with age comes the belief that others will tolerate them/accept them no matter what they do or say.  Ultimately, how anyone treats the elderly is choice.

they might be old and not thinking about what theyre doing

Yes, I'd tell her there was a queue and point out the end of it where she should join it. I was, however, raised in England where queue jumping is a capital offence. If you value your life, never try to jump a queue in Britain.

If she only had a few items and I had a trolley load, I might invite her to go in front of me but not if she tried to force her way in.

The cashier did not get involved because if he/she were to get involved, there's a good chance she would be terminated. They're cashiers, not referees or cops. I recently had an elderly man push his cart into mine moving me aside as he tried to cut in front of me. As I was even more elderly, and wasn't going to take that sh*t, I thrust his cart aside and politely informed him he wasn't going in front of me. He backed off.

• Pete

If I'm not in a hurry, I wouldn't say anything.  Besides, she's 80 y/o so she doesn't have much longer to live.  This might be the last line she ever jumps!

Yes, but politely, if she became angry I’d get security.