What are the pros and cons of living in a city?

I live in Ohio and I’ve been wanting to move down to Cincinnati Because it’s so beautiful down there. But I don’t know what I’m getting myself into because people say living in a city sucks but there are people that love it. So what are the pros and cons?

Pros = anything and everything 24/7. Cons = noise, crowding, crime and usually higher taxes than in the country.

• Lili

I'm from Ohio, born and raised in Columbus. I know Cincinnati very well, and I've lived in cities all over the country and abroad, including Boston, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, Chicago, Rome, and Paris.  I'm in Chicago right now.

I LOVE cities.  I survived a decade in the suburbs of New Jersey only because it was so easy to get into New York.  Cities offer unparalleled cultural and other amenities, including great museums, symphonies, ballets, theater, restaurants, universities, good shopping, and professional sports teams.  They are always exciting; interesting things are always happening in them.  I would never again NOT live in a city.

That said, they can be expensive, congested, you may have to make some trade-offs between space and location (desirable locations are more costly), and they can gouge you right and left for local taxes. Car insurance can be more expensive in cities, there may be parking costs, city governments are more susceptible to corruption, and crime rates are higher.  The disparity between rich and poor may be more noticeable, because cities attract the affluent, but there are always significant numbers of low-income areas.

You might not need to worry about car insurance and parking costs, since you might not need a car.  My husband and I got rid of ours here in Chicago. However, Chicago has a much more extensive public transportation system than Cincinnati does. I believe Cincinnati has only buses.

Cincinnati's cost of living is also much lower than Chicago's. You can get about the same amount of space for around half the cost of rent or a home price.

All in all, I highly recommend city life.  

Pros

The list of pros of moving to Ohio could go on forever. So, we’ll just highlight the most impressive aspects about the state. For one, the state has some pretty stellar cities in Cincinnati, Cleveland, and Columbus (more on all of those down below) and it offers a relatively reasonable cost of living, even in the larger cities that we just named.

Then, of course, Ohio is filled with little gems scattered across the state. For example, there is an entire island dedicated to total awesomeness. It’s called Put-in-Bay, and it sits in Lake Erie. Thousands of folks visit the island every year to ride around on golf carts, eat great food and drink. And, we can’t forget about Cedar Point… the roller coaster capital of the world… it has set a world record with 71 rides and 17 roller coaster that will scare the living daylights out of you.

Cons

A good while back, The Thrillist ranked Ohio as the thirst worst state in the United States, behind Florida at position number one and Delaware at the number two spot. As you can imagine, this hurt Ohioans… and to rub some serious salt in the wound, The Thrillest named Ohio’s arch-nemesis… Michigan as the “best state” in the United States. Is their reasoning for Ohio being the third worst? And we quote, “Getting LeBron back only further cemented its position as the Florida of the North.” Come on guys; you’ve got to give us something better than that…

Anyway, we’re not blind, Ohio isn’t perfect. And, while there are a lot of great things about it, the winter’s are as cold as your ex-lover, and the sport’s teams have had a history of being quite bad. But, and this is a very big but, they’re making a comeback… in 2016 the Cavaliers won the NBA championship and Baker Mayfield looks like he might be the QB the Browns have been waiting for.

Pros:  There will be more options for things to do, i.e. theater, music, sports, arts.  There will be a better selection of restaurants and bars.  It will be easier to travel from (airport is right there vs traveling x miles to get to one).  There will be more choices for things you may want/need (furniture, cookware, cloths etc...).  There will be more job options, same job will likely pay more when living in a city vs rural environment to counter higher cost of living. 

Cons:  Cost of living will be higher.  If you have a car, finding parking will likely be a challenge, you may have to pay to park your car.  Noise.  Crime is more prevalent, but that doesn't mean you will be a victim.  Congestion.  

Source(s): Lived in several large US cities and in rural areas. The biggest issue I have with city life is the noise (traffic, sirens, planes, helicopters, dumpsters being emptied at 4AM ...)
  • Andrew

Ohio is interesting because despite the fact that it's not seen as a particularly cosmopolitan state overall, it does boast half a dozen cities with a population of 100,000 or more, which is considerably higher than most other states with a similar population. The difference is that practically all of the sizable cities in Ohio are just awful, and Cincinnati is no different. 

I don't know where in Ohio you live now, but Akron, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Dayton and Toledo are all terrible places to live. I would not move to any one of those places, even if you were to pay me to do so. Some are worse than others, but in terms of livability - salaries to the cost of living, crime rates, property values, and aesthetics like the look and feel of the place as well as basic things such as culture, nightlife, restaurants, shopping, etc., they all rank very, very low. 

If you really want to live in a livable city where you can enjoy your quality of life and truly appreciate what city living has to offer, I would advise you to look beyond the borders of your own state. Ohio is a lovely, lovely place populated by many wonderful people and the variety that the state has to offer really does set it apart. There are some beautiful lakefront communities along the north, the wooded rolling hills of the Ohio Valley are spectacular, and there's a charm to the farms and fields that can be found all across the state, but the cities are awful and have been for as long as I can remember, and I don't see them improving anytime soon. 

Cincinnati in particular is very dangerous. North and East Cincinnati are just horrible. Like many of the cities of the Midwest and the South - as Cincinnati essentially straddles both, it's a great place to visit and a terrible place to live. 

I'd advise you to have a very serious rethink about relocating there.    

its easier to get around if you dont drive cause theres buses running all the time

Besides wanting, what are your reasons? Do you have a job, or a support system there?

I'm in a suburb of New Orleans, but that's because our 5 kids are all settled and own homes here. In Katrina's aftermath my wife and I both had jobs and put in an offer on a house pending the damage to ours. We had less than 50K and stayed. Now we've got 9 grandkids and see them regularly.

Good luck

• A.J.

Higher cost of living so you need a better paying job to have or share a smaller living space. Usually, you don't need an automobile as everything should be convenient if living in the downtown area. Most cities are ethnic diverse and accepting of alternative lifestyles so typically you also need to be very tolerant. More evening activities and social gathering locations. You life gets centered outside the apartment more. The suburbs are a different environment, with more local traveling around. It is not as dense and more variety in social environments.

• .

When I lived in Chicago, there weren't any large grocery stores and the city would move your car around to a corner street without notice just to vacuum leaves.  Several times, I though my car had been stolen.