If you are entering a country by air but leaving my train, what will you fill out at customs? What if you enter by train and leave by air?

I am traveling to Europe from America in a couple weeks, and I’ve only been to Mexico before this so I don’t have a lot of international experience. I am flying into Paris then going to a few other countries, and leaving out of London. What will I do with customs and how will I fill out paper work?

4 Answers

  • 10 months ago

    You will enter the Schengen area when you deplane in Paris.  


    The UK is not part of the Schengen area. Assuming you take the Chunnel train from Paris to London you will exit the Schengen area at the train station before you board the train to the UK. You will need to complete a "boarding card", and there are reportedly stacks of them available. You should get to the station 45 to 60 minutes before your train is scheduled to depart as the amount of time to clear passport control depends on how many people are in line.  

    You go through UK immigration at the train station after arrival in the UK. 

  • 10 months ago

    It doesn't make any difference how you enter and leave. The customs procedure is the same in both cases.

  • 10 months ago



    NO country must let you in.

    Customs checks you and your stuff. They can give you a quick look or just let you pass not searched.

    IF they suspect something they could open everything and strip search your body.

    That you are departing the country by walking, a bus, the train, another plane is not their concern when you are ENTERING the country.

    Immigration/Passport control does want to know your exit plan for the country you desire to enter. In your case how you plan to exit FRANCE and eventually continental Europe.

    YOU ARE NOT GOING TO EUROPE you are going to a specific Airport in a specific COUNTRY. In your case you are going to FRANCE.

    French Immigration and Customs agents are waiting for you when get off the plane.

    You ANSWER their questions. IF there is a need for you to fill out some additional forms they will supply them.

    When you get to UK clearance place possible before you board your transportation to UK you again go through a similar process and answer their questions.Depending WHERE in Europe you depart the UK check could be at the UK arrival place.

    MOST do not need to fill out additional forms.

    You are expected to show/declare a REASONABLE explanation of why you want to visit France,What is your plan for your time in France, a method to pay your expenses, an exit plan for when your time is up, be in good health and not have a criminal record.

    You will not need to do additional Customs or Immigration checks while on the main continent of Europe in the Schengen Zone.

    Enjoy the different ways different places celebrate at this time of year. They have been doing it their way for a very long time.

    FORMS are usually just needed if you plan on leaving stuff or selling stuff you brought with you.

    As this is a busy time of year it is a very good idea to have your first and last nights sleeping place reserved.

    At your last flight when you land back in USA you get the same exercise.

    Customs will want to know what you have that you did not have when you departed the USA. IF you have purchased lots of stuff you have some forms to fill out.

  • Anonymous
    10 months ago

    You will still be in the European Union, so you can travel freely within the EU without having to declare customs and things again. Just treat it like you're traveling to different states in the same country in this case. The airports in Paris and London are the only places where you will have to deal with customs.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.