What is this?

I posted this once and I got an answer (coral or something that lives on top coral) but I’ve searched and can’t find anything in coral family that looks like it. Someone said stalactites but again... I got this from my lapidary instructor years ago so asked and he said “the fossil of the first organisms that made oxygen but it doesn’t look like stromatolite fossils either.

Does anyone know for sure? To me it looks like the center of a head of cauliflower!

The surface is covered in a shiny layer of agate or quartz 

It looks like a concretion but Yahoo won't allow the uploading of a high def picture that would allow us to see it better.  It could be some sort of coral but I cannot see the surface well enough to decide. A coral would have little tiny indentations all across the surface. the indentations are the "homes" of each of the many life forms that make coral structures.  They make colonies.

• Mike

Take it to your local university geology department and ask them.

It is most like a concretion. Is there a college or other school that has a geology department? If so take to them and ask. 

• Can't tell for sure, but it might even be artificial. Maybe break it in half

Fossilized cauliflower.