S asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdolescent · 1 month ago

If my mom was 54 last year(2018) and now 55 in 2019 is she a boomer now? Read the description! ?

I really hate the fact that my mom is so old, and the reason is because I’m 14 in grade 9 and I feel like the only teen with a mom this age. A lot of teens parents are usually in their late 30s- 40s and My mom is in her mid 50s. I love my mom with all my heart but don’t like the fact that she might be part of this generation. I personally consider my mom generation x but clearly she’s a baby boomer since she was born in 1994. I hate this! 😭.

Sorry my mistake she was born in 1964! 

• hart

a mutter is a mutter regardless the age

At her age, shes either a young boomer, or an older gen x.

The generations do overlap a little..  Your birth year does not literally set in stone which generation gap you belong to.

I was born in 1981, but I am a gen Xer..   Not a millennial.

"Boomers" are called boomers because they are part of the "baby boom" that happened after the war. 

The baby boom generation began in 1945 and ended in 1964. That means your mom is considered to be a late, or young, baby boomer. And the term "generation" refers to a period of twenty years, NOT thirty.

People born prior to 1945 are considered to be members of the so called "greatest generation". They grew up in or came of age in the 1930's and 1940's, just in time to fight in World War II. My grandparents belonged to this generation- all of them. My parents are also members of this generation. They are in their 70's and 80's now.

Anyone born from 1965 through 1980 is a member of Generation X. The Gen X generation is made up of people in their 50's, although some of the younger members may still be in their late 40's or about to turn 50.

Anyone born from 1981 through 2000 is a Millennial. Most of the Millennials are in their 30's, some of the oldest ones are in their early 40's by now. The two royal princes in Britain, William and Harry, are both members of the Millennial generation.

Lastly, anyone born from 2001 until the present is a member of Generation Y. This is the generation which is largely made up of today's high school and college age kids. My nephews belong to this generation, as do the children of most of my high school and college classmates.

I have to wonder why you hate your mom's birth year so much. It doesn't mean she's old. 50 isn't considered old, not any more. True, she has probably gone through menopause by now, but that doesn't mean she's in danger of dying any time soon. And even in this day and age, it's extremely UNUSUAL for a teenager to have parents who are in their 30's. My nephews' parents (who are my siblings) are all in their 50's. They're still very much in their prime. So I don't get what you're so upset about. So your mom is 55. So what. Lots of kids your age have parents that age. It's not a big deal.

• Starlight 1

No, Nekkid, you're a Millennial. One of my siblings was born in 1982, and he is definitely a Millennial.

• edward

Is she was born in 1994 she’s the same age as me sweetheart. I can promise i’m not a boomer. My parents are considered boomers but my parents are already grand parents, it’s expected for them to be boomers already

This whole "boomer" thing is getting so out of hand, and teenagers don't even understand the meaning of it, they just slapped label on it without understanding. A "baby boomer"is a child(ren) born after the wars between the 1940's to mid 1960's, its when the hubands returned home and had sex with their wives.

Getting older doesn't actually change what "generation" someone belongs to.

The "boomer" generation is 1946 to 1964 

Her birth year is 1964 which means she has ALWAYS been a boomer.

Now, since she was born in the last year before the generational change to Gen X, she probably does seem more like a Gen X than a boomer.

In my family, my siblings are all boomers and I am 12 years  younger than they are.  I am a Gen X.  There is a HUGE difference between me and my older siblings.

But, I would think that there wouldn't be that much difference in just one year - so the last few years of "boomers" would share a lot in common with the first few years of "Gen X".  

What you actually hate is that you have an older parent compared to many of your other friends.   

• helene

Your mother is in the last year of boomers.

And YOU are as shallow as a sheet of paper. What a stupid thing to be ashamed of. 

She wasn't born in 1994.. She was born in the 1960's.

The quick answer is "just" -- baby boomers stretch from about 1946 to 1964. So, they started having babies (gen X) after 1964. As such, she's have a lot of gen X characteristics.

All I can say is your poor mother has an idiot for a child!