Erin asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 1 month ago

I took an overdose what should I do ?

I’ve taken an overdose of migraleve pink (I took 10) and had also been drinking a lot. The next day (Today) I’ve been sick so much, it’s been neon yellow and really sour and horrible tasting (not like usualy vomit taste) I’ve also had loss of balance and feeling confused and very very sleepy. I haven’t been to the toilet all day (8+ hours) idk if that matters. I’m an 19 year old female and weight approx 50kg (110lbs)

7 Answers

  • Uri
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

    Honey baby just because you saw it's written 'codeine' as one of the three engredients that doesn't mean it's the right medicine to get high on. If you don't want to go to the ER stay home and drink a lot of water and I mean A LOT so you can get all that s*it outta your system, eat only liquid foods like soup and it's important to keep your body in movement so take a walk around your house for a minute or 


    Wish you luck and get better soon. 

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago


    4.9 Overdose


    The effects in codeine overdose will be potentiated by simultaneous ingestion of alcohol and psychotropic drugs.

    Codeine overdose associated with central nervous system depression, including respiratory depression, may develop but is unlikely to be severe unless other sedative agents have been co-ingested, including alcohol, or the overdose is very large. The pupils may be pin-point in size; nausea and vomiting are common. Hypotension and tachycardia are possible but unlikely.

    Other risks of codeine overdose include cardiorespiratory arrest, coma, confusional state, seizure, hypoxia, ileus, renal failure, respiratory failure and stupor.

    Management of codeine overdose includes general symptomatic and supportive measures including a clear airway and monitoring of vital signs until stable. Consider activated charcoal if an adult presents within one hour of ingestion of more than 350 mg or a child more than 5 mg/kg.

    Give naloxone if coma or respiratory depression is present. Naloxone is a competitive antagonist and has a short half-life so large and repeated doses may be required in a seriously poisoned patient. Observe for at least four hours after ingestion, or eight hours if a sustained release preparation has been taken.


    Liver damage is possible in adults and adolescents (≥12 years of age) who have taken 7.5g or more of paracetamol. It is considered that excess quantities of a toxic metabolite (usually adequately detoxified by glutathione when normal doses of paracetamol are ingested), become irreversibly bound to liver tissue.

    Ingestion of 5g or more of paracetamol may lead to liver damage if the patient has risk factors (see below).

    Risk Factors:

    If the patient

    ▪ Is on long term treatment with carbamazepine, phenobarbital, phenytoin, primidone, rifampicin, St John's Wort or other drugs that induce liver enzymes.


    ▪ Regularly consumes ethanol in excess of recommended amounts.


    ▪ Is likely to be glutathione deplete e.g. eating disorders, cystic fibrosis, HIV infection, starvation, cachexia.


    Symptoms of paracetamol overdose in the first 24 hours are pallor, hyperhidrosis, malaise, nausea, vomiting, anorexia and abdominal pain. Liver damage may become apparent 12 to 48 hours after ingestion. This may include hepatomegaly, liver tenderness, jaundice, acute hepatic failure and hepatic necrosis. Abnormalities of glucose metabolism and metabolic acidosis may occur. Blood bilirubin, hepatic enzymes, INR, prothrombin time, blood phosphate and blood lactate may be increased. These clinical events associated with paracetamol overdose are considered expected, including fatal events due to fulminant hepatic failure or its sequelae.

    In severe poisoning, hepatic failure may progress to encephalopathy, haemorrhage, hypoglycaemia, cerebral oedema, and death. Acute renal failure with acute tubular necrosis, strongly suggested by loin pain, haematuria and proteinuria, may develop even in the absence of severe liver damage. Cardiac arrhythmias and pancreatitis have been reported.

    Haemolytic anaemia (in patients with glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase [G6PD] deficiency): Haemolysis has been reported in patients with G6PD deficiency, with use of paracetamol in overdose.


    Immediate treatment is essential in the management of paracetamol overdose. Despite a lack of significant early symptoms, patients should be referred to hospital urgently for immediate medical attention. Symptoms may be limited to nausea or vomiting and may not reflect the severity of overdose or the risk of organ damage. Management should be in accordance with established treatment guidelines, see BNF overdose section.

    Treatment with activated charcoal should be considered if the overdose has been taken within 1 hour. Plasma paracetamol concentration should be measured at 4 hours or later after ingestion (earlier concentrations are unreliable). Treatment with N-acetylcysteine may be used up to 24 hours after ingestion of paracetamol, however the maximum protective effect is obtained up to 8 hours post-ingestion. The effectiveness of the antidote declines sharply after this time. If required the patient should be given intravenous N-acetylcysteine, in line with the established dosage schedule. If vomiting is not a problem, oral methionine may be a suitable alternative for remote areas, outside hospital. Management of patients who present with serious hepatic dysfunction beyond 24h from ingestion should be discussed with the NPIS or a liver unit.


    Overdose with sedating antihistamines is associated with antimuscarinic, extrapyramidal, and CNS effects. When CNS stimulation predominates over CNS depression, which is more likely in children or the elderly, it causes ataxia, excitement, tremors, psychoses, hallucinations and convulsions; hyperpyrexia may also occur. Deepening coma and cardiorespiratory collapse may follow. In adults, CNS depression is more common with drowsiness, coma, and convulsions, progressing to respiratory failure and cardiovascular collapse.

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    At this point, you'll either get better or you won't.  As I said last time, phone poison control to see if they suggest medical attention is warranted.

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • Retief
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Go to the emergency room.

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

    If you haven't already gone to the ER, I suggest that you do so as this increases your risk of serious liver damage. At your age you don't need this.

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

    You don't take an overdose, you HAVE an overdose. 

    • Erin1 month agoReport

      How helpful thank you just the answer I needed 🙄 :/

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    Go to Hospital and explain 

    • Log in to reply to the answers
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.