Jenny
Jenny asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 8 months ago

Why have I never seen uncured unprocessed un chemicals bacon in a store?

It's normally sold as pork belly.

Once you cure and smoke it, it becomes what most people know as bacon.

You can buy the pork belly, cure it, smoke it and make bacon with fewer chemicals and preservatives than the mass processed stuff. I do it. It's well worth the effort.

You have~ it is called plain pork.

I don't understand why people take something cute, like a pig, and turn it into something gross like bacon.

• denise

Because it would'nt be bacon if it was'nt 'cured'.

It would just be 'pork'.

• Mintee

because the term "bacon"  means any meat that is processed, cured, spiced, smoked, dried, etc.... if you dont want this, just get thin slices of real pure meat... You could however invest in a dehydrator.. or use your oven and make your own meats at home with pure spices... 

Because it wouldn't be bacon.

Go back to the butcher and ask for sliced pork belly. That is uncured, unprocessed, chemical free bacon. It's five layers of fat and deliciousness, and there are dozens of ways to prepare it, whole or sliced.

Because it doesn't exist.

Bacon is a preserved, cured meat. All bacon is processed by it's very nature. Pig meat doesn't look like that when you cut it off of them.

funny-I see it all the time--maybe its a regional thing--

That would be called "ham".  Bacon is cured ham.