Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelTravel (General)Packing & Preparation · 2 months ago

Can i bring vacuum seal bags through TSA? ?

I leaving on a trip , I need to bring clothes ( obviously) 1 weeks worth. 3 blankets ( that is Christmas gifts ) a Pillow. All in a book bag. I don’t want to pay for checked bag. I am also bringing my guitar, ( that I believe I can carry on)  or do I just pack that all in a carry on suitcase? Are vacuum bags worth it ??  

If you are going to vacuum sealed anything, please make sure it is only clothing and nothing else.

Source(s): Work part-time as a TSA officer.

TSA does not care what is in the vacuum seal bags as long as it is not a liquid, gel, or hazardous.

Regarding your guitar:

What Instruments Can I Carry On?

Guitars and other smaller musical instruments, such as violins, will be accepted as your free carry-on baggage item on Delta and Delta Connection® carriers flights¹. These items must easily fit in the overhead bin or other approved storage location in the cabin, based on available space at the time of boarding. Musical instruments may be gate claimed at the discretion of the passenger and as a result of limited overhead space.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-...

• MS

Check with the airline about your guitar, because that varies considerably.  

If you do take your guitar, you will only be allowed a personal item (for under the seat in front of you) in addition.  So a backpack-size bag will be your best bet.  You can try the vacuum sealed bags - they aren't prohibited in any way.  Just make sure you have reliable bags.  

If you want to take a suitcase, you'll have to check it if you're carrying on your guitar.

You are every other traveller's nightmare.

i would call the airlines and ask them

The bags themselves aren't a problem, but what happens if one of the bags fails? You'll never get the stuff back in your luggage. I'd check with the airline about the guitar. I don't know where it would go if you carry it on.