Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsPhotography · 1 month ago

How do I price my photography? I have a family of 15?

I think I worded my question wrong? I have a family session for a family of 15. They want one big family portrait of all 15 people. Then they would like a individual family portraits, plus individual portraits of each family. I not sure what I should charge them. 

• Frank

I'd start off by determining your costs related to the job (including your pay) and then find out what other photographers charge for similar work in your area.  It's critical that these photographers be in your area and are of a similar skill level to you.  It makes zero sense to charge New York prices when you live in a rural flyover state.  It also makes zero sense to charge the same as a photographer who's more talented than you.  Doing so is a great way of destroying your reputation as a photographer.

So not knowing your location or your capabilities makes it impossible for anyone to give you a dollar amount to charge your clients.

This is going to sound harsh, but frankly, if you have to ask this question on a place like this, your skill and knowledge / business level is not at the point where you should be charging anything. Do the work free and only charge for the cost of any prints. You DO have a pro lab you can use for the prints don't you, ... and that does NOT mean Walmart or Costco or Walgreens.

I know photographers that would charge many hundreds of dollars to do this, even well over a thousand dollars. Where is you skill / experience level? Do you have contracts made stating exactly what all charges will be and what will and will not be included as well as a delivery by time? No. Then I have to refer back to my first paragraph.

• mokrie

No one cares about your family. You need to price the same as others would price.

Charge as much as you can

Charge them $200, you have a lot of mouths to feed. 

50 Troy ozs of 99.999% gold per hour!