K asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 month ago

Why do people say you need to eat at least 1200 calories a day?

I eat about 700 to 800 calories a day and I feel fine.

Favorite Answer

People say it because they have been duped into believing what food/diet  marketing tells them. What I eat, what works for my body will not work for yours and vice versa. We are two completely different people with two completely different makeups and genetics, so why on earth would we be eating the same amount??? UGH. The basics are the same; bones, muscle, blood, but we do not have the same fat content, same blood sugar, same resting caloric burn, etc. 

You feel fine? Great, grand, wonderful. I feel great with my daily 900-1300 calories a day. My mom does just fine with her 1500 cals per day. My dad, a beast, feels great with his 3500 cals per day (to maintain! BEAST, I said, but a healthy beast). 

No two bodies process things the same. As long as you are healthy (not starving yourself), you are feeling fine, that's all that matters.

• Nickname

Energy needs depend on height, weight, activity and age. 2000 kval is calculated for 175 height female, obviously lower height females need less.

It is the unit to measure energy in the body and also the energy present in the food. We need energy to survive and to do our daily routines. Overeating results in extra energy which unfortunately gets stored in the body as fat and slowly this develops into obesity. So to look slim and beautiful one has to maintain a balance between energy consumed to the energy absorbed 

The need of calories is different by different people, which depends on the height, weight, age, sex, and working profile.

Calorie Intake Quantity

At first one should know self basal metabolic rate (BMR). “The basal metabolic rate is the minimum number of calories one’s body burns at rest said by Anna Z. Feldman, M.D., an endocrinologist at Joslin Diabetes Center. These many calories are essential for involuntary functions such as breathing, regulating body temperature, digesting food, and for the circulation going. Think of this as the minimum number of calories required to keep the body alive.

• patty

food Nazis. they say one thing and years down the track say something different.

I am (a 48 year old woman) having 80 kg weight,and I have been 165 cm tall.Still daily,I,m well satisfied with 597 calories,out of bread ,cheese ,vegetable leaves ,yogurt, curry ,rice and tea with sugar cube regiment, even if,what ever,it has but a bit more than a standard calorie rate,and it has to be 551 for correct calories amount!

1200kcal is the absolute minimum that a person should eat to be ok. It would be a normal food intake if you're a woman, 70 years old, 4 ft 8, and weigh 95 pounds. If you're a man or younger or bigger... Or you do any type of physical activity, you should stay well over that... Then, if you want to stay fit and feel good, it's even more important WHAT you eat.

Because they say that's what the average woman needs. But im with you eating less isn't always bad. Im a small woman and i actually don't need that many calories i eat less and feel fine too.

Come back and say that  in a few years if you're still alive lol. You could be blind from B12 deficiency, having MS type systems, if your female you'll probably be infertile, your bowel will hardly ever move and you'll have horrible extended toilet trips of of half an hour of cramping, your hair will look like straw, your skin will be horrible and you eyes hollow and your heart will be ready to give out probably while your straining on the toilet...

• .

Because the body needs a certain amount of calories to perform all its daily functions. Just like your car won't run without gasoline, so your body can't run without fuel. If you don't consume enough calories/nutrition to keep your body going, it will take what it needs from your stored fat, muscle tissue, and anywhere else it can (until there is nothing it can take). Your metabolism slows down so your body can conserve energy (because it burns calories 24 hrs/day). Unless you are under 5' tall, your calorie intake is too low. 

Use the calorie needs calculator here https://www.freedieting.com/calorie-calculator to give you an idea of how much you should be consuming. Just because you "feel fine" doesn't mean you ARE fine. A slowed metabolism means less energy and makes gaining fat easier (because the calorie intake point at which your body will store excess calories as fat, is lowered). 

I count carbs not calories. I stick to about 20-25 grams of carbs a day.

• Eva

You may feel fine, but you're doing long-term damage to your metabolism. As you age, you will gain weight and because you're already on such a low calorie count, you'll find it difficult to lose. Your body needs a certain amount of calories per day just to maintain itself and your brain activity. The rest is either used to fuel your activities or if you consume an excess, stored as fat for future use. Look up a BMR calculator on the internet to find out the minimum calories you should consume each day.