when should I tell my kids santa is not real?

Obviously when you consider that your kids have developed a lot more common sense that you have..

• Elsa

Well,Santa Claus actually was a very generous man who would bring presents to poor people, back in 5th century .

He now is a saint, up in Heaven. 

So, he technically  exists.  You have to tell your children, when they will start asking you questions about it, that he embodies the magic of Christmas and the joy of giving gifts. 

But if your children do not ask you anything about it, then you do not have to do absolutely nothing.

You have to let them believe in him 'physical ' figure and let them figure out the truth on their own.

Many children, after all-myself included-kept on believing in him until 13ish.

Nowadays, however, most children figure it out as soon ad they start primari school,by the age of 5 or 6 years, 7 at their very  oldest .

But there is not A rule that says a certain ageis appropriate....every child as its own time. 

they'll find out when they get friends (age 6 ish?)

By age 7 if they haven't figured it out themselves.

• Rich

Right away. How can your expect your kids to respect you once their learn you lied to them for so many years pretending something is real that is actually not? Not to mention that you are teaching them that lying and pretending and being amused by it is ok behavior. Treat others the way you want to be treated the Bible says. You expect your kids to be truthful, then be a role model of truthfulness yourself. If you have been lying to them already, the sooner you come out with the truth the better.

You are better off telling them about Jesus Christ, because he actually is real, and unlike most people in this world that are selfish Jesus actually loves your kids unconditionally.

• j153e

You might make the Santa icon more than a jolly old elf; letting your children know that there was a Saint Nicholas of Myra in the 4th century who gave gifts and helps to the poor.  Thus the spirit of Christmas, beginning with the 3 wise men, is symbolized by the jolly Santa Claus.

Your children are pure, and emphasizing the spirit of giving is good.  Then, when the disclosure occurs, it's not as though the spirit of Christmas was killed or shown to be a lie...and perhaps not over-emphasizing the role of Santa Claus is well, too.

Related:  "Bringing up Boys" and "Bringing up Girls," by Dr. James Dobson;

"The True Saint Nicholas:  Why He Matters to Christmas" by William J. Bennett;

"The Story of Saint Nicholas:  A Children's Adaptation" by Laura Wagner.

It's not a mathematical formula, if that's what you were wondering.  Like anything else when you're raising kids, you just have to take your best guess and hope it works out right.

My folks told me when I was seven or eight, but I think they wanted to wait longer.  I pointed out that Santa had a watch just like Uncle Tony, and they thought I had figured it all out.  I actually just thought old Santa and Tone just shopped at the same watch store, but I wasn't too shocked when I learned the truth.  Too much of the mythology just didn't pass the sniff test by that age.

The wife and I didn't have to tell our kids anything.  They looked it up on the internet.

• kelvin

that would be never

• Liz

Well, think about it. Parents attempt to instill good virtues in their children. The Bible encourages us to be truthful and honest. Lying is wrong, and we should follow the Bible counsel: “Speak truth each one of you with his neighbor.” (Ephesians 4:25)

Source(s): jw.org
  • Dze

They'll figure it out naturally if you teach them how to give things to each other and so on ...