Can you make homemade aspirin?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

All you need is some ice, a wooden spoon, and a hard surface.  Lay your left hand down on the hard surface, get the spoon in your right hand, and wack your left hand as hard as you can multiple times.  At this point, your hand may be stinging, hurting, and swelling.  Apply the ice.  Notice your headache is gone.  

• 1 month ago

Sure, if you've got salicylic acid and acetic anhydride lying around the house.

• david
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I basically did in Chem class about 50 years ago .. no 60 years ago -- my god, its quickly approchaing 70 years.  It was a very basic lab, not much equipment.  Replace beakers with cups ... just get the rest of the supplies and go for it. ===  I think the indians of the past used a dilute form of salicilate boiled from maybe birch bark as a headache remedy ... just get some acetic acid, mix in the right proportions ... and you've got aspirin .. needs a little purifying and crystallization, like Bayer did in Germany, and you've got powdered aspirin.  Add some kind of binder, and compress it and you can make tablets.  You can make a $2 bottle of aspirin for about $750 to $1000, but it is possible.  I think that is how Bayer got started.  Perfect the process and maybe you can make millions.

• Diane A
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

we made a pile of salicylic acid as well lol

• Dr W
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I suppose I could.  I don't think I'd want to since it costs like $1 per 100 tablets at Walmart.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • DrBob1
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Medication is not a cottage industry!

• 1 month ago

SURE! all you need is some homemade acetic acid/acetic annhydride and some good ol' salicylic acid!

• 1 month ago

I can't, no

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.